This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Why is Amarok 2.4.1 in Kubuntu Backports?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Registered Member
OS
Hello,

I want to upgrade my Amarok to version 2.4.1 (I'm using Kubuntu 11.04 with Amarok 2.4.0), but I saw in the official Amarok site that I needed to add the repository https://launchpad.net/~kubuntu-ppa/+archive/backports to my Linux... But when I did that some months ago I had some problems in KDE applications....

So, I was worried about installing this repository in my system since it can have applications "not yet tested enough to go to Ubuntu Backports"...

Does this repository have stable versions of KDE applications? Can I use it without any problem related to BETA versions of applications? Why isn't Amarok 2.4.1 in Official Ubuntu Repository?

Thanks for your help,

André M.
Sentynel
KDE Developer
OS
Backports does not hold beta versions; there's a separate beta backports PPA for that. It only holds stable KDE releases. They just haven't gone through Ubuntu's testing cycles.

The main Ubuntu repositories only get security and critical bug fix updates for a particular release; feature updates are introduced into the next Ubuntu release only. This is a design and stability decision by Ubuntu.

Registered Member
OS
Hello Sentynel,

Thanks for the information... Now I feel more secure to update my KDE system... But, this info that you give me is only valid for Backports or is it true for the repository https://launchpad.net/~kubuntu-ppa/+archive/ppa too?

Thanks for your help,

André M.
Sentynel
KDE Developer
OS
As far as I know, kubuntu-ppa/ppa mostly holds KDE point releases (e.g., it currently has KDE 4.6.3 in). /backports is used for other KDE apps and KDE minor versions.
Neither ever hold beta releases, however.

Registered Member
OS
Hello Sentynel,

Do you think it's useful and safe to use these repositories? Why they are not marked as default in Linux distributions?

Thanks for your help,

André M.
Sentynel
KDE Developer
OS
I use them with no issues.

As I said, it's an Ubuntu design choice not to release feature updates etc within an Ubuntu release, but only with new Ubuntu releases. Not all distros use this model (Arch, for example, releases new versions as they come out and doesn't bother with a structured release model at all).

Registered Member
OS
Thanks Sentynel for your patience in explaining these info to me...

Excellent explanation about the repositories in Ubuntu... :)

Thanks again,

André M.
claydoh
Registered Member
OS
More descriptions and usage can be found in a blog post I did over a year ago. The info is still relevant today.

claydoh, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct, and KDE user since 2001