This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

MTP: Albums in different directories

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
GreatEmerald
Registered Member
OS

MTP: Albums in different directories

Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:01 am
I've just figured out how to use MTP with Amarok (a pretty complicated process, I'd say), and there's one thing that I noticed. If I upload a track to the device, it gets placed in the root of it. That differs from the way that synchronisation works on Windows Media Player, for example, where the uploaded tracks are put into new directories based on their tags. That's very useful when you have around 150 tracks and want to find one. Since I can see albums listed in Amarok's Media Sources, is it possible to do something similar in Amarok?
Mamarok
Manager
OS
Which Amarok version do you use?

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
GreatEmerald
Registered Member
OS
I've tested that with both 2.4.0 and 2.4.1. Too bad I can't find any RPMs with a build of 2.4.2, since that's where one of the most annoying bugs related to MTP has been solved.
Mamarok
Manager
OS
There are on RPMs because Amarok 2.4.2 is not released yet. The probable release date is end of July.

The location the track is copied to is highly depending on the media device, not all of them handle the directories the same way. Sadly you didn't specify the model.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
GreatEmerald
Registered Member
OS
iRiver T10a. I've also noticed that in Amarok, when I transfer a file, in Local Media I can see both the artist and album, but if I reconnect the device, the album is shown as unknown. Artists are shown fine, however. Yet all of the files always go to the root of the device, and not in either a subdirectory of the artist or the album.

The output of mtp-detect is here:
http://pastebin.com/ipijhGzn

As for RPMs, they can be dynamically built from Git. Unfortunately, I can't find one for Amarok.
Mamarok
Manager
OS
The problem with some iRiver devices is that those don't use a partition table, which of course can cause problems. See also this bug: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=275978

GreatEmerald
Registered Member
OS
Since Amarok detects it fine, I guess that's not the case here. Either way it gets mounted on /dev/bus/usb/002/002 as it should, so I can't use fdisk to verify whether it has partitions or not (it reports "last_lba(): I don't know how to handle files with mode 20666").
Mamarok
Manager
OS
Well, if it gets mounted on USB the it is in USB aka MSC mode, not in MTP mode, check that the settings in the player are correct.

GreatEmerald
Registered Member
OS
Not quite 'mounted'. What I meant was that it's not mounted at all, but the device is at /dev/bus/usb/002/002. The player has no USB mode (although it can be enabled using different firmware).