This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Where is the meta data about my songs stored?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
jjanderson5
Registered Member
OS
When I created my mp3 files, I entered meta data about the songs as I went along. So for most songs I have things like 'album', 'singer', etc in my song collection. This data gets displayed in Amarok and by other players. I'm in the process of rating my songs and adding that data using Amarok. I assume this meta data will get stored with the other data that already exists.

Can anyone tell me where on disk this data is stored? Or even better can someone tell me if there is documentation someplace that describes how and where data is stored?

My biggest concern is that as data is entered, it is saved and backed up.

Thanks in advance!

Jim Anderson
Sentynel
KDE Developer
OS
Amarok stores metadata for your music in its own database, which is stored in ~/.kde/share/apps/amarok/mysqle. In addition, meta tags (title, artist, album, etc etc) are written to the files themselves, which is how other players can pick it up. You also have the option to write ratings, playcounts, etc to the file tags, which is the "write statistics to file" option in settings > configure Amarok > collection.

jjanderson5
Registered Member
OS
Thank you a bunch! That helps me a lot.

Jim