This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Amarok - ampache plugin FLAC problem

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
spython
Registered Member

Amarok - ampache plugin FLAC problem

Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:07 pm
Amarok will play mp3 files served by Ampache without a hitch - but when it plays FLAC files the audio stutters and clicks. Tried it on different machines on the LAN with the same result. I presumed this was a bandwidth problem until I installed Viridian - which plays the FLAC files served by Ampache without a problem. A search reveals others are having the same problem with the Amarok plugin. Anyone have any ideas?

I have another, unrelated bugbear. I have Amarok configured to look at my local collection in the order of Genre/Artist/Year-Album. The collection is large with many categories so this is very efficient. When I get the catalogue from Ampache - Amarok only displays Artist/Year-Album and I cannot configure it othewise. I guess this is because Ampache is not broadcasting the tags with the genre info. It would be great if it were otherwise.
google01103
Manager
stuttering - try a different phonon back end (vlc or gstreamer - remember xine backend no longer maintained)

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

spython
Registered Member
Thank you - that solved the problem with the streaming audio from Ampache. I used the VLC backend.
Now the only problem remaining is that Amarok is not getting the "genre" tag from Ampache - but I suppose that query belongs on an Ampache forum?
Thanks again for your help. :)
spython
Registered Member
Update - I noticed a few audible clicks using the VLC phonon backend while listening to some Classical pieces streamed as FLAC from the Ampache server. So I have used the gstreamer backend which appears to give better sound quality.