This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Can Amarok generate a playlist from a folder?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Tarrasque
Registered Member
As for subject.

I keep my music files in many different folders in my system. sometimes I'd like to listen to all files in a folder regardless of other tagging / sorting methods.

Is it possible with Amarok? And could then sync to my portable player just that playlist?

Thanks
google01103
Manager
you can add a folder to your playlist within Amarok by using the file browser in the collections panel, also you can use Dolphin to select the folder(s) and right click -> open with -> Amarok which will add the folder(s) to the playlist - note Amarok's file browser doesn't (at least for me) allow you to select multiple folders while Dolphin does

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

Tarrasque
Registered Member
Maybe I didn't make my point clear. Please excuse me but English is not my native language and I'm quite new to amarok.

What I mean is: is there a way after Amarok has scanned all my music files to generate a playlist based on the directory a file is in?
Mamarok
Manager
OS
If you proceed as suggested above, you will have a playlist which you can either save to disk, then copy to an external player with Dolphin, or export it to a different format in the menu section "Playlist -> Export Playlist as.." and save it directly to a mounted external media from there. The current supported formats are m3u and XSPF.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
Sentynel
KDE Developer
OS
You can perform searches based on the filename, either in the collection search box or with the dynamic playlist's match meta tag bias. e.g. filename:"Moonsorrow" finds all items with Moonsorrow in their file path (for me, this is just anything by Moonsorrow, as I have my music sorted by artist/album in the filesystem as well).