This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Any help for Mtp detection (Nokia 5200)

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
wotan
Registered Member
OS
Hello
I have a Nokia 5200. I would like amarok to detect it as a mtp device. However I don'T manage to do it.
By opening
Code: Select all
sudo kate /usr/share/hal/fdi/information/20thirdparty/20-libmtp8.fdi

I have seen that there is already a profile for Nokia 5200 but when i type lsusb i don't have the same product_id as the one in the profile so, i edited a second profile for my phone in 20-libmtp8.fdi. I also have found that post http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1007155 saying to add some lines (albeit the post is about the 5800)
the new profile in 20-libmtp8.fdi now looks like that. However mtp-detect still says "no raw device"
Anyone knows how to handle it? pleeeaase
thks
<!-- Nokia 5200 de maxime-->
      <match key="usb.vendor_id" int="0x0421">
        <match key="usb.product_id" int="0x04be">
          <match key="info.capabilities" contains_not="portable_audio_player">
            <append key="info.capabilities" type="strlist">portable_audio_player</append>
          </match>
          <merge key="info.vendor" type="string">Nokia</merge>
          <merge key="info.product" type="string">5200</merge>
          <merge key="info.category" type="string">portable_audio_player</merge>
          <merge key="portable_audio_player.access_method" type="string">user</merge>
          <match key="portable_audio_player.access_method.protocols" contains_not="mtp">
            <append key="portable_audio_player.access_method.protocols" type="strlist">mtp</append>
          </match>
          <append key="portable_audio_player.access_method.drivers" type="strlist">libmtp</append>
          <match key="portable_audio_player.output_formats" contains_not="audio/mpeg">
            <append key="portable_audio_player.output_formats" type="strlist">audio/mpeg</append>
          </match>
          <match key="portable_audio_player.output_formats" contains_not="audio/x-ms-wma">
            <append key="portable_audio_player.output_formats" type="strlist">audio/x-ms-wma</append>
          </match>
          <merge key="portable_audio_player.libmtp.protocol" type="string">mtp</merge>
        </match>
   <match key="@storage.originating_device:usb.product_id" int="0x04be">
   <merge key="storage.model" type="string">5200</merge>
     <addset key="portable_audio_player.access_method.protocols " type="strlist">storage</addset>
     <append key="portable_audio_player.output_formats" type="strlist">audio/mpeg</append>
     <append key="portable_audio_player.output_formats" type="strlist">audio/aac</append>
     <append key="portable_audio_player.output_formats" type="strlist">audio/x-wav</append>
     <append key="portable_audio_player.audio_folders" type="strlist">Music/</append>
   </match>
      </match>
Mamarok
Manager
OS
Which exact Amarok and KDE versions are you using?

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
wotan
Registered Member
OS
Thats KDE 4.7.1 and amarok 2.4.3

If it matters, i mention that I installed this kubuntu with the so called "Wubi" mode
Mamarok
Manager
OS
I doubt the solution you found in the Ubuntu forum will work, as it presumes HAL is running, but the most recent Kubuntu and Ubuntu don't use HAL anymore, but Solid for KDE.

If the Nokia device is set to MTP mode it should show up as a collection, normally there shouldn't be any configurations to make.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
wotan
Registered Member
OS
Well it's getting detected by the systems: but only as a camera device: I have a notify that ask me if I want to open it with doplhin or gwenview. But mtp detect still doesn't see anything
When I go to the System Settings and then Digital Camera , I can see a "MTP device". I can try to add a Nokia 5200 but then it says it doesn't find it.

What is interesting ist that:
max@ubuntu:~$ mtp-hotplug
# This usermap will call the script "libmtp.sh" whenever a known MTP device is attached.

## a lot of things
# Nokia 5200
libmtp.sh    0x0003  0x0421  0x0421  0x0000  0x0000  0x00    0x00    0x00    0x00    0x00    0x00    0x00000000
## another lot of things

I assume their is a problem there since it should be 0x4be for the third number instead of 0x421.
But I do not know if and where I can change this (with a configuration file maybe)?
Mamarok
Manager
OS
You shouldn't have to configure anything at all. If solid detects the device it should just show up in Amarok as a new collection, provided it is actually mounted.

wotan
Registered Member
OS
Is the device automounted or do I have to mount it manually? (and how :S )?
Is there a command line to check if Solid detect the device or not?
Mamarok
Manager
OS
That entirely depends on you, if you set automount to be default in the System Settings for the removable devices. By default a device should be detected by Solid and then pop up the Device Notifier so the user can then decide on the action.
Amarok entirely relies on Solid for that, so nothing is mounted by Amarok.

wotan
Registered Member
OS
In the "Removable devices" section of System settings I enabled the auto mounting but event though, nothing appear. There must be a problem with solid
Mamarok
Manager
OS
Or with the device. Sadly you didn't specify if it has an automatic mode and if you can switch between USB (aka MSC) and MTP mode. If there is an automatic mode, please disable it and select a specific mode.

wotan
Registered Member
OS
Yes when I connect the USB cable there is 3 modes:
Nokia mode (aka use the phone as modem connection)
Storage mode to use it as a USB key. (with this mode their is no problem)
and Multimedia mode.
This is this mode that I am selecting ( their is no automatic connexion) since I want to sync the playlist and so on with amarok.

I tried to check if their is a firmware update but ovi suite told me the firmware is up to date.