This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Edit Amarok metadata stored in MySQL

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
werwurm
Registered Member
OS
Hi all,

I recently started to rip all my CDs again, this time using flac (sounds better than most of my 128/192 kb mp3, more flexibility etc.). Now I wonder if there is any chance of transfering/editing the metadata (especially first played, playcount, rating) of the old files to the new flac ones.

Background information: * werwurm being a total MySQL noob :)

I am using an external MySQL Database (5.1.53), amarok 2.4.3 on KDE 4.6 (opensuse 11.4).

Any tips/pointers to tutorials etc. would be appreciated.

Thx

Denis.
Mamarok
Manager
OS
Normally you should be able to just import the statistics and ratings from the previous database in the Settings -> Configure Amarok Collection -> Import

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
werwurm
Registered Member
OS
Hm looks my question was too fuzzy :)
I want to keep my old database and collection, I just started to rip some of the music to a new format.

Maybe an example makes that clearer:

Imagine my collection consisting of 3 albums,

A: all mp3, first played in 2009, playcount 8
B: all ogg, first played in 2010, playcount 3
C: all mp3, first played in 2008, playcount 5

Now I decide to rip C again in flac. When I add those files to my collection, is there any way to transfer the metadata of the old mp3 files to the new ones?
I would really hate it to throw all statistics away...

Thx again,

Denis.
Mamarok
Manager
OS
I don't think so, as the new files will have a different UID.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
Sentynel
KDE Developer
OS
Just a thought: There's an amarok_afttagger tool for writing IDs to files. Theoretically speaking, you could use the tool to write IDs to the existing files, update the collection so Amarok knows about them, and then use a tagging program of some sort to transplant the IDs from the old files to the new files, remove the old files, and update the collection again.
I have *no idea* if this would actually work. Back stuff up before trying it.