This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Amarok Meta Database - backup and sharing

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
jjanderson5
Registered Member
OS
I'm a fairly new user to Amarok. I'm in the process of rating all of the
music that I have and then I will create a number of playlists.

As I do the ratings, I know the data gets stored, but I would like to
protect the time investment that I have put into the Amarok meta database.
I have several questions:

0) Is there a document that I can read to learn about the meta data for Amarok?

1) Is there a single root directory for the meta data, such that I can backup the root directory and all of its subdirectories and know that I have collected all the meta data?

2) Is there a list or spec someplace that identifies what meta data is stored and what the format of the stored data is?

3) Are there import and export routines that will allow me to move the data from one computer to another?

4) Can the meta data be shared between computers if the data is stored on a shared file system?

Jim Anderson
Sentynel
KDE Developer
OS
The information is stored as a MySQL database. The data files for this are in ~/.kde/share/apps/amarok/mysqle, which can be backed up, moved around, etc to taste. You can also start a regular MySQL daemon with Amarok's database.
You also have the option to have playcounts, ratings and scores written to the file tags.
There is also a provision for connecting to an external MySQL server rather than the default built-in, which allows you to share the db between devices (though note the filesystem with the music on will need to be mounted with the same path on each machine).

jjanderson5
Registered Member
OS
Thank you for the information. Using mySQL satisfies my every need. I was
really glad to see your reply. This will require that I brush up on using
mySQL, but I need that anyway.

Jim
marcerickson
Registered Member
OS
On a Fedora 21 installation of Amarok, there is NOT such a path as kde/share/apps/amarok/mysqle/. According to the search function, there isn't a directory named mysqle.

So where is it?
Mamarok
Manager
OS
it's not kde/... but .kde/share/apps/amarok/.. The dot is important :)

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
marcerickson
Registered Member
OS
Still not there, even with the dot.
Mamarok
Manager
OS
then check if it is ~/.kde4/.., some distributions use that instead of .kde, as they were still shipping some KDE3 packages for some time and then never changed the path

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
marcerickson
Registered Member
OS
I'm not using KDE - I'm using MATE 1.10.2.
wolfi323
Registered Member
OS
marcerickson wrote:I'm not using KDE - I'm using MATE 1.10.2.

That doesn't matter.

But note that most file managers do not display hidden files/directories (the ones starting with a dot) by default. You have to enable the option "Show hidden files/directories" or similar to see ~/.kde(4)/.
marcerickson
Registered Member
OS
Thanks for helping. But that didn't help - there's no directory named .kde or mysqle on that computer of mine.
wolfi323
Registered Member
OS
marcerickson wrote:Thanks for helping. But that didn't help - there's no directory named .kde or mysqle on that computer of mine.

Well, there should (has to) be, if you ever used Amarok or any other KDE application...

What does this give?
Code: Select all
ls -ld ~/.kde*
marcerickson
Registered Member
OS
OK found it - thanks for the help:
/home/marc/.kde/share/apps/amarok/mysqle

So if I copy the mysqle directory - that will backup all usage data? If I replace the mysqle directory in a new Linux installation after adding Amarok to the new installation, the old usage data will be present in the new installation?
wolfi323
Registered Member
OS
marcerickson wrote:So if I copy the mysqle directory - that will backup all usage data? If I replace the mysqle directory in a new Linux installation after adding Amarok to the new installation, the old usage data will be present in the new installation?

Yes, that should work, if the paths of your music files are the same at least.
I haven't ever tried it myself though...

Btw, you could also copy it over *before* you install Amarok. ;)
marcerickson
Registered Member
OS
Thanks very much for the help! :-)