This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Database backend cons/pros

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
LukasT.dev
KDE Developer
OS

Database backend cons/pros

Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:23 pm
Hello,

I would like to ask you what are the cons and pros of using MySql database for Amarok? What about performance and database backend?

Recently I hit some bug where the collection in amarok was gone (meta-information lost, like ratings, downloaded lyrics etc.). I did the rescan of the collection, songs are back without metadata.

I'm using Fedora 16, amarok 2.4.3, I did preupgrade, not clean installation, so the home directory with all the settings stayed in place with the previous version settings (I don't know the Fedora 15 version)

I can recover the data from backup. Which file is important here?

Is MySQL database backend safer?

Daylight is coming...
Krita developer | http://lukast.mediablog.sk/log
Sentynel
KDE Developer
OS

Re: Database backend cons/pros

Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:29 pm
MySQL is the only database available in Amarok.

An option to use an external database is provided to allow a database to be shared between multiple computers, or for people with limited system resources running MySQL servers on their machines anyway, but there is no functional difference between this and the embedded MySQL database.

Amarok's embedded database is stored in ~/.kde/share/apps/amarok/mysqle. (Some distros use .kde4.)

There are instructions here for starting a MySQL daemon on Amarok's embedded database so you can alter it in the same way as an external database.