This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

MySQL not getting populated

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
craigbert
Registered Member
OS

MySQL not getting populated

Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:05 am
Hello All,

I am trying to use the MySQL backend database. I am running 2.4 on Kubuntu.
My steps are:
1. Settings => Configure Amarok => Database and I check the box "Use external MySQL Database"
2. Quit Amarok
3. Restart Amarok
4. Rescan music library

But nothing ever shows up either in Amarok or in the MySQL database. I have even logged in with the amarok user id / password successfully. But if I uncheck the box for using the MySQL backend database all my music shows up.

Very odd. Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong?

Thanks,

Craigbert
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Re: MySQL not getting populated

Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:43 am
Does the user you have allocated Amarok have full authority over the database assigned to it? In particular, it will need to be able to create tables, read, write, etc.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
Sentynel
KDE Developer
OS

Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:13 am
Why exactly do you want to use an external database?

craigbert
Registered Member
OS

Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:08 pm
bcooksley ~ Yes. The user has full priv's. I used the script that comes with amarok to create the database.

Sentynel ~ A couple reasons: 1) my understanding is that it is a bit faster than the local SQLite, which surprised me so I wanted to see for myself 2) being able to run some reports against the db would be nice and help me organize some things better

Thanks,

craigbert
Sentynel
KDE Developer
OS

Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:46 pm
craigbert wrote:Sentynel ~ A couple reasons: 1) my understanding is that it is a bit faster than the local SQLite, which surprised me so I wanted to see for myself 2) being able to run some reports against the db would be nice and help me organize some things better

Amarok does not use SQLite. The internal database is MySQL. There are precisely no performance differences between the internal and external databases.
There are instructions for starting a MySQL daemon on the local collection at the bottom of this page.