This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

CD Support

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
tomp01
Registered Member
OS

CD Support

Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:54 pm
Can somebody tell me when CD support was finally fixed? I had given up trying to get support for this issue in the past with various people assuring me that it worked when it plainly didn't. So out of curiousity I tried version 2.4.3 with Kubuntu and it worked without any niggles!! Well done, even if it's taken over 3 years to restore the functionality of rev. 1.4
tomp01
Registered Member
OS

Re: CD Support

Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:59 am
Surely somebody has something to say?
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:32 am
Unfortunately it is hard to tell when it was fixed exactly - as a myriad of components are involved in making the whole process work (upgrading Amarok alone for instance might not fix it - the needed fix in question may have been in components of KDE itself)

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
Stecchino
KDE Developer

Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:43 am
tomp01 wrote:Well done, even if it's taken over 3 years to restore the functionality of rev. 1.4

1.4 never had CD ripping support.

If you mean burning a data or audio CD directly from Amarok, you are right it's not an included feature. But there are various scripts to achieve the same result.
tomp01
Registered Member
OS

Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:28 am
Stecchino wrote:
tomp01 wrote:Well done, even if it's taken over 3 years to restore the functionality of rev. 1.4

If you mean burning a data or audio CD directly from Amarok, you are right it's not an included feature. But there are various scripts to achieve the same result.

Who said anyuthing about ripping? I was just talking about playing CDs.
Stecchino
KDE Developer

Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:38 am
tomp01 wrote:
Stecchino wrote:

Who said anyuthing about ripping? I was just talking about playing CDs.

Sorry, I should have specified. It's technically the same thing, at least the way it's implemented.
tomp01
Registered Member
OS

Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:14 pm
Amarok 1.4 played CDs very well, I have been trying for years to get the fuctionality back. It now works.
tomp01
Registered Member
OS

Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:44 pm
Just had an update to KDE 4.8 from the Kubuntu respositories and guess what? It's screwed again! You have no real excuse as Clementine 1.0 is now working, so if it's supposed to be open source you can check out what they are doing right and you are doing wrong!
valoriez
KDE CWG
OS

Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:22 am
I also did an update from Kubuntu repositories for 4.8, but I do run Amarok from git. CD playing works for me, although the playlist doesn't advance through the tracks. That's a bit annoying. On the other hand, if you like the CD, you'll rip it into your collection. Right?

tomp01
Registered Member
OS

Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:55 pm
valoriez wrote:I also did an update from Kubuntu repositories for 4.8, but I do run Amarok from git. CD playing works for me, although the playlist doesn't advance through the tracks. That's a bit annoying. On the other hand, if you like the CD, you'll rip it into your collection. Right?

I just want to put a CD into the drive and play it with Amarok, Why is that so difficult? I filed a bug report for Clementine, it took some time but now it works. Explain to me why they can do it but Amarok can't, especially considering that the previous version of Amarok worked albeit briefly?
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:34 am
If you are upgrading your version out of step with KDE, it is possible that fixes or other changes in either may break the functionality of CD support - as I believe Amarok does not do it directly itself, but rather through the audiocd:/ KIO slave.

(As a test, see if that works in either Konqueror or Dolphin)

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
Stecchino
KDE Developer

Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:12 am
tomp01 wrote:I just want to put a CD into the drive and play it with Amarok, Why is that so difficult? I filed a bug report for Clementine, it took some time but now it works. Explain to me why they can do it but Amarok can't, especially considering that the previous version of Amarok worked albeit briefly?

Clementine is not using the Phonon abstraction layer like amarok but rather is calling gstreamer
API functions directly. It does not need to use the KIO audiocd:/ abstraction (which also gives us the track info from cddb.org) either. In short, it's a completely different implementation which has more code to achieve the same thing at the benefit of less dependancies.
At the point when Clementine design was finalized gstreamer was in a much better state then early 2007 when phonon was developed and started to be used in Amarok. Today we would probably do without the extra abstraction and problems that it brings.
tomp01
Registered Member
OS

Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:28 pm
It has just starting working again so something has changed, probably some updates. You are right about Clementine, it doesn't provide any track info whilst Amarok does, when it works.