This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Status of zip/rar archive support?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
hooverphonic
Registered Member
OS

Status of zip/rar archive support?

Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:19 pm
I found an ancient thread in the search where one of the developers (I think it was that Swiss guy) said that it might be available in 2.X builds using Phonon/KIO.

But AFAICS, there is no native file archive support yet except for dragging the stuff from inside Konqueror into Amarok (urghhh)

(I hope this does not get into a huge discussion again about the pros/cons of having mp3s archived: well, it's definitely NOT because of the space but to get things a bit more nicely in order. That is, not having hundreds of files scattered across the HDD but keeping similar things together. For 10+ album discographies of one artist, this is fantastic, and I would not want to miss it. Besides, I use RAR like TAR: that is, few or no compression (Store/Fastest) because I'm well aware of MP3s being compressed well enough already ;))
Sentynel
KDE Developer
OS
It's not implemented, and there's not enough of a use case to be worth implementing.

Mamarok
Manager
OS
You should check the wishlist for such questions: http://bugs.kde.org/279567

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
hooverphonic
Registered Member
OS
Thanks for the pointer, I would not have found this myself, as I would not assume a feature request in a BUG (!!) tracker like bugs.kde.org. There are really coolish things that belong there: crashes, system hangups, core bugs... xD
Mamarok
Manager
OS
well Bugzilla is a bug tracker and allows tracking wishes for not-implemented features, something every bug-tracker supports.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
oracle2b
Registered Member
OS
I want this feature too.

All answers are all replies, but not all replies are answers.