This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Some technical questions about amarok

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
wotan
Registered Member
OS
Hi there
Yesterday I tried to edit a playlist with amarok 2.4
But sadely, amarok 2.4 does not support playlist, also I told myself okay I upgrade to KDE 4.8 and amarok 2.5, which alledgelly does

After the nominal Kubuntu/KDE upgrade process (loss of data+format of computer+reinstalling one time+direct upgrade+reformat since it does not work+reinstall x3)
I was able to launch amarok 4.5
obvisouly, I was very carrefull before I do that. also I saved the whole .kde folder of my home directly which I consciensiously copied on my brand new KDE 4.8 installation, alongside with all my mp3, in the same folder etc ..

When I open amarok. I see that all my previous playlist are here (of the ruin of my previous playlist since recall :amarok 2.4 does not handle playlist)

BUT

Nothing in my collection.
No worries I run the scan of my collection
And let the magic begin. Indeed, I had spent some time to edit track details like artist , album name etc of a lot of mp3 but apparently, amarok does not handle the save it in ID3 Tags...

also
Question 1 What is the technical reason that lead a human being to say " I have a brand new idea: we are gonna add a track editing feature that save nothing! Hence when a user get a new computer, he also got the joy the redo all his work"
Question 2 Do developper of amarok use amarok ?
Mamarok
Manager
OS
Did you test the Amarok 2.5 beta1 when it was released? We always ask users to test their usecase. And yes, we do use Amarok daily, but with all the existing features and various usecases some bugs can slip through, that is why we need beta testers.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
wotan
Registered Member
OS
Hello Mamarok

Safly I don't have enought time to beta test all software I am using.
But next time be sure I will,

By the way how long is the usual beta testing phase for amarok?

By the following sentence, I don't really understand what you mean
but with all the existing features and various usecases some bugs can slip through, that is why we need beta testers.

Is it to understand that the software have so much feature that they are not all tested when it get released ?
For example I still can't understand why for example amarok 2.4 was given to be a music player that handle playlist. Also should I understand from your previous sentence that a simple create and delete of a playlist has not been tested at all because it is simply part of the various usescases and feature? Or am I wrong? I am sorry I think I don't really understand, if you can be more precise .

Best regards
Sentynel
KDE Developer
OS
wotan wrote:Is it to understand that the software have so much feature that they are not all tested when it get released ?
For example I still can't understand why for example amarok 2.4 was given to be a music player that handle playlist. Also should I understand from your previous sentence that a simple create and delete of a playlist has not been tested at all because it is simply part of the various usescases and feature? Or am I wrong? I am sorry I think I don't really understand, if you can be more precise .

We can't exhaustively test every possible set of environment conditions and every possible sequence of commands. We test as much as possible before release, but as you have apparently discovered given playlists work fine for everybody else on 2.4.x and 2.5, edge cases get through. This is a fact of life. If you've never encountered a bug in any other software, you've been immensely lucky.

You could make an actual difference and help out the volunteer teams involved by properly reporting bugs you encounter on the KDE bugtracker and testing beta versions, or you could sit on the forum complaining about how since something doesn't work perfectly for *you*, we must all be incompetent and it must be broken for everyone. Your call.

wotan
Registered Member
OS
We can't exhaustively test every possible set of environment conditions and every possible sequence of commands.

Is it technically impossible or timely?

We test as much as possible before release

What is criterion used to decide wether a Beta is mature for realeased or not? I mean how does it technically works usually, I am not since years ago in the community also I want to discover.

But as you have apparently discovered given playlists work fine for everybody else on 2.4.x and 2.5,

Can't tell you for 2.5, but 2.4 definitely does not handle playlists. See http://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=273358

This is a fact of life. If you've never encountered a bug in any other software, you've been immensely lucky.

Just because other software encouter bugs does not mean our has to encouter too ^^.
As long as there is a mistake made, should it be in software or life in general, there is something to enhance.
Not only the mistake itself, but also the process that let the mistake go through.That is why I am posting those post, to better understand the process software are made.

You could make an actual difference and help out the volunteer teams involved by properly reporting bugs you encounter on the KDE bugtracker and testing beta versions

Have already reported couple of bugs long before this post. Beta testing: as I said, I will.

or you could sit on the forum complaining about how since something doesn't work perfectly for *you*, we must all be incompetent

Actually I am sorry if you understanded it like that but I never meant that.

A propos Beta testing:
Is there somewhere, on amarok website or somewhere else a list of usecases that are to be tested? I have already started to write mine but if someone has already done the job, I would grab the list and compare with mine
Sentynel
KDE Developer
OS
wotan wrote:Is it technically impossible or timely?

The only way to test every possible situation the software will encounter after release would be to have every post-release user comprehensively test the beta versions first, which is clearly infeasible.

Testing aims to test as many situations as possible. How many are actually tested is a function of the number of testers and the amount of time. Simply waiting longer will not help detecting problems resulting from environmental conditions which are not replicated by the testers.

What is criterion used to decide wether a Beta is mature for realeased or not? I mean how does it technically works usually, I am not since years ago in the community also I want to discover.

The bug tracker has sufficiently serious bugs marked as release blockers. These should all be cleared before release. There's also a set amount of time allocated, which is a minimum; releases are delayed as necessary beyond that to deal with outstanding bugs.

Can't tell you for 2.5, but 2.4 definitely does not handle playlists. See http://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=273358

That seems to be a report for a visual glitch after a particular action in the playlist manager. It has precisely no effect on the majority of the playlist functionality, did not affect all users, and did not cause data loss where it did happen, so I'm not entirely sure how you're getting from that to "2.4 does not handle playlists".

A propos Beta testing:
Is there somewhere, on amarok website or somewhere else a list of usecases that are to be tested? I have already started to write mine but if someone has already done the job, I would grab the list and compare with mine

There's a list of tests on the wiki.

Dieter Schroeder
Registered Member
OS
Sometimes ignorance can become a passion.
Don't waste time on answering those statements. It's not worth the keystrokes.

m0nk

If men could get pregnant, abortion would be a sacrament.