This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Removing Duplicate Songs - Feature Request?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
StephanG
Registered Member
OS
Mostly due to my own unorganized way of storing music, I've found that I have a lot of duplicate songs in my Music folder. It seems to be because certain songs are on both ArtistX's CD, and on a "Best 80's songs" CD, etc. But also because I tried to merge an old backup of my music that I found on my Home server with my current Music folder, but forgot that I had changed the way organised the folders between the two backups.

In any case, at the moment, I've got A LOT of duplicate songs. And I was just wondering if there was an Amarok feature to remove duplicate songs that I might not know about. From what I understand about Nepomuk, i shouldn't be very difficult to incorporate.

And if it doesn't exist, is there a possiblity of it featuring in future versions of Amarok? And how would you guys recommend getting rid of duplicates in the meanwhile?
Sentynel
KDE Developer
OS
Amarok's database (which has nothing to do with Nepomuk, by the way) doesn't allow the storing of duplicate tracks.
A track is a duplicate if the artist, album, track number and title (and possibly other values, I haven't checked) are all the same. If it's the same track appearing on, say, a studio album, best of, and live album, it's not a duplicate, and there's no automatic way to tell which are actually duplicates and which are wanted (e.g., the original album and best of ones are probably the same and you don't need both, while the live album one is different).
If you use the organise collection feature (right click collection -> organise files), it will move all of your collection files into a directory structure as specified by you, and will not take multiple copies of anything which is a true duplicate.

Ignacio Serantes
Registered Member
OS
Nepoogle has a basic implementation of this feature using Nepomuk's duplicates detection features.

Ignacio Serantes, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Nov.
StephanG
Registered Member
OS
Thanks, I'm sorry about taking so long to reply. But I've finally gotten around to it. Organize worked wonders!

The main reason for taking so long, is that I waited for the next release of Kubuntu to reformat both my /root and /home partitions. I've been picking up problems because I've been using the same /home partition for too long, and I think there are archaic config files lying around or something. It just took this long to become unbearable and wipe everything.

Then I used "Organize" to move my Music collection from my external, and that seemed to work very well.