This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

When Amarok reads POPM tag, why does must email be empty?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
jonmoon
Registered Member
Hi all,

I'm trying to get Amarok to read my ratings which are set by Android's Playerpro / use POPM tag.

I think i've found the code which should do this ID3v2TagHelper.cpp on import, but it doesn't accept the tag if it has an e-mail address associated with it (which I have) -

else if( frameName == POPM_Frame )
{
TagLib::ID3v2::PopularimeterFrame *frame =
dynamic_cast< TagLib::ID3v2::PopularimeterFrame * >( *it );

if( !frame )
continue;

if( TStringToQString( frame->email() ).isEmpty() ) // only read anonymous ratings
{

What's the logic behind this?

If I worked on a patch to remove this check would it be accepted?

Thanks,
Jon
Mamarok
Manager
OS
Hm, you should maybe ask the specific developer why they set this to be empty in a mandatory way.
But since a popularity metering should always be done in an anonymous way, I can totally understand why they set it in that way.

If you provide a patch, I suggest you make one that actually tests if an email is associated and removes it, I am sure you do not want to find your mail address end up in strange places.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...