This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Sort albums by year in the context browser

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Yann
Registered Member
Hi all,
First, congratulations for this wonderful app! amaroK is the best audio player I've ever used :)

I really like the context browser but a detail annoys me. In the 'Albums By This Artist' section, albums are sorted by name. I would like to see the year of release and have them sorted chronologically.
So I'm trying to write a small patch.

I want to add a method in collectiondb.h:
[code:1]
uint getYearForAlbum( const uint artist_id, const uint album_id );
[/code:1]

The problem is that an album has no year info.
So I think to check the year tag of each track in the album and keep the year that appears the most.
That way, I get only one year, even if some tracks have wrong or missing tags.

Do you think this is acceptable or is there a better way to do that ?
Advices are welcomed ;)

P.S.: sorry for my poor english...
Max Howell
Alumni
This is a pretty damn good idea! I expect though it'll have to be runtime optional. Or we'll get a tonne of "I'll use Noatun unless you make it alphabetical again you l000sers" threats from disgruntled fans ;-)

muesli bochi? What do you think?
krusty.ar

also on the collection

Fri May 20, 2005 3:24 am
Related to this, it seems strange the you have 4 fields for each album (genre, artist, name, year) and only 3 levels of ordering, so you cant order the collection by genre/artist/YEAR/album.
krusty.ar

also on the collection

Fri May 20, 2005 3:25 am
Related to this, it seems strange the you have 4 fields for each album (genre, artist, name, year) and only 3 levels of ordering, so you cant order the collection by genre/artist/YEAR/album.
DanielW

Re:also on the collection

Sun May 22, 2005 5:58 pm
ok,

genre/artist/year/album is not possible, but mhh how many albums per year are from one artist in one genre? one? hehe.

so possible is:

genre/artist/year - album

this way you see all albums by the artist at once and they are ordered by year and the year is visible.

(only in svn version)
zubin
Registered Member

Wed Jun 01, 2005 10:24 am
I\'d also really like to see albums by an artist in context tab sorted by year, as it (generally) expresses the artist\'s career better than alphabetical order.
bahum

Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:54 pm
i am currently working on a collection search, which uses a dynamic javascript/DOM interface to add albums, songs and so on.

however i implemented some sort functions for albums, collections and songs:

when im finished i will submit my code.