This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

support for ipod shuffle

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Armin Lukas
Registered Member

support for ipod shuffle

Thu Apr 07, 2005 7:03 pm
i\'d like to contribute ipod shuffle support.
is this something you want? is there already someone working on it, i could help?
muesli
KDE Developer

Re:support for ipod shuffle

Thu Apr 07, 2005 7:48 pm
no, there is currently no work in progress. but yeah: we\'d love to have it supported. best would be to contact the ipod-kio author, since we\'re using his source code to access the ipods.

thanks and keep us informed!

...muesli
HugoP

Sun Jul 10, 2005 9:45 am
Is there any progress in the iPod shuffle support? If no, than I can report, that I hacked the kio-ipodslave. Currently I\'m at a point, where I can load the music on the iPod and after doing the sync in the kio-ipodslave the ipod works. Still there are some problems left, but if there is nobody with a more advanced solution, I\'ll go on... (shouldn\'t be to hard from now on :-)

There are nice advancements \"possible\" too:
* used space for example
* automatic generation of the f00-f15 directories
* more iTunes 4.9 support (podcasts)
* etc
HugoP

Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:01 am
If anyone is interested in my work, here\'s a link:
http://www.schwann.at/guenter/lin-apps/ipod_shuffle/ipod_amarok.html
Merlin

Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:57 am
I\'ve used this patch with 1.2.4 and am using the amarok 1.3/svn patch (15.8.2005) version on my amd64 machine (gentoo) and it\'s working very well. I had to modify the patch for the tarball so that the files it was patching existed in amarok/src instead of just src.
First time I\'ve been able to transfer files to my ipod shuffle without any headache at all.

Thanks

p.s. my x86 machine has it emerged and it compiled successuflly, I\'m going to test it tomorrow to be sure that it works.
Lou

Sat Aug 27, 2005 10:39 pm
Hugo, you planning on supporting album covers for use with ipod photo\'s?

Look slike great work though, keep it up ;)
Lou

Sat Aug 27, 2005 10:42 pm
Also, how about determining ipod mount point using HAL if available, rather than needing to have /media/ipod present (if ipod drive is labeled diff so mountpoint isn\'t /media/ipod?)
Lou

Sat Aug 27, 2005 10:46 pm
Lol, 3rd post.

Had anotehr idea, how about looking at difference between songs on ipod and songs in collection and auto updating ipod on connection (for when you add more songs to your collection but can\'t remember which are new and which are old?)

just throwing ideas around ;)
chrisag

Sun Aug 28, 2005 1:10 am
Crashes Amarok 1.3 final... On a consistant basis inside Mandriva 2006.4

Doesn\'t patch correcntly for Amarok SVN 08.27.05...

I really hoped this would work as I\'ve been waiting for it for quite some time. :)
chrisag

Sun Aug 28, 2005 2:49 am
I apologize, I forgot to add the reject files for the svn attempt at patching and the crash notice when attempting to load a song on the ipod shuffle..

Here is the crash messge: http://people.ucsc.edu/~chrisag/chris/crashmessage

And here is a tar of the reject files:
http://people.ucsc.edu/~chrisag/chris/rejects.tar.gz

Hope this helps.
HugoP

Mon Aug 29, 2005 6:58 am
Hi!
@Merlin: I\' glad to hear it works for you
@Lou: Yes, I do have plans to extend the iPod support. But my lack of time will limit my effort (extremely) :-(((
But iPod photo support won\'t be on the list, as I only own an iPod shuffle
@chrisag: I\'v updated my patch to the current svn. But it will crash, as there currently seems to be a problem with gcc 4 (which is used by Mandriva 2006.4)
Keith Milner

Tue Aug 30, 2005 5:54 am
An interesting variation on this would be some way to perform format conversion, where applicable, for songs before transfer.

As an example, all my music is ripped in FLAC format which I use with my Sonos music system as well as with AmaroK. Increasingly people are looking at ripping in lossless formats because:
a) Hard disk space is now cheap
b) It removes the need to ever re-rip

Conversion from FLAC (or other lossless forms) to the appropriate lossy formats, such as OGG or MP3, is easy. It isn\'t however, very convenient, and most portable players don\'t have the space or the codecs to support FLAC.

If AmaroK is extended with some sort of generic Media Player plugin architecture, can I suggest this on-th-fly \"downcoversion\" capability, with some sort of configuration system to allow the user to specify target format (mp3/ogg, etc.) and bitrate/quality.

Cheers,

Keith
HugoP

Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:37 am
This is an excellent idea. But it\'s out of scope of my patch. So I\'d suggest that you fill out a bugreport (feature wish) to amarok\'s bugtracking.