This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

wikipedia entries versus tags

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
qelis

wikipedia entries versus tags

Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:07 pm
hi folks.

[first things first: I really like amaroK and I appreciate the
effort you put into this project. Thanks!!]

Since I use old fashioned alphabetical artist tags like \"Bowie, David\" I have bad luck with the wikipedia feature: wikipedia insists in \"David Bowie\". Similar issue is with \"Beatles [The]\". As a cheap workarround I hacked the file amarok/src/contextbrowser.cpp (as of version 1.3.6). --- Maybe this is useful for someone?

Cheers, qelis.

[code:1]{
QString tmpWikiStr;

if ( !EngineController::engine()->isStream() )
{
if ( !EngineController::instance()->bundle().artist().isEmpty() )
{
tmpWikiStr = EngineController::instance()->bundle().artist() ;
}
else if ( !EngineController::instance()->bundle().title().isEmpty() )
{
tmpWikiStr = EngineController::instance()->bundle().title() ;
}
else
{
tmpWikiStr = EngineController::instance()->bundle().prettyTitle() ;
}
}
else
{
tmpWikiStr = EngineController::instance()->bundle().prettyTitle();
}

if( tmpWikiStr.contains( \',\' ) || tmpWikiStr.contains( \'[\' ) || tmpWikiStr.contains( \'&\' ) ) {
m_wikiCurrentUrl = QString( \"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:«»Search?search=%1&go=Go\" ).arg( KURL::encode_string( tmpWikiStr ) );
} else {
m_wikiCurrentUrl = QString( \"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%1\" ).arg( KURL::encode_string( tmpWikiStr ) );
}
}
[/code:1]
Chris Fritz

Re:wikipedia entries versus tags

Fri Nov 18, 2005 6:23 am
I definitely second this, as I just finished listening to \"セーラーチームのテーマ / Sailor Team\'s Theme\" by \"朝川ひろこ / Asakawa Hiroko\" -- it\'s rather difficult to get anything out of the context tags when the lyrics web site doesn\'t even seem to support Japanese, and likewise your issue with Wikipedia. (Personally, I would love if the music files allowed multiple tags, so each file can have an English tag and a Japanese tag, and I could set amaroK to default to one or the other, but I\'m not expecting anything to come of that idea =P )

I don\'t know what limitations there are to what kinds of data can be stored in files, but for the artist lookup, I would imagine one could write an interface which shows all the artists of your collection with fields to write them out \"in Wikipedia format\" (which I believe is last name, space, first name for Japanese names written in English letters), and then store those in a database. Could even separate multiple artists of one song with commas to load all their pages from Wikipedia, perhaps.

Ah, if only I weren\'t bogged down with NaNoWriMo and other projects right now...