This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Latest CVN ipod functionatlity breaking

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Jason Holloway
Registered Member
For the last 2 days ipod functionality has not worked with my compiled SVN version of amarok. Finally today amarok svn errors out on compile with the following: (using get_amarok_svn.sh)

compiling /home/jholloway/amarok-svn/amarok/src/gpodmediadevice/gpodmediadevice.cpp
g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I./amarok/src/gpodmediadevice -I/home/jholloway/amarok-svn/amarok/src/gpodmediadevice -I. -I/usr/include/kde -I/usr/lib/qt-3.3/include -I/usr/X11R6/include -I/usr/local/include/gpod-1.0 -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib/glib-2.0/include -I/usr/include/taglib -I./amarok/src/gpodmediadevice/.. -I./amarok/src/gpodmediadevice/../engine -DQT_THREAD_SUPPORT -D_REENTRANT -Wno-long-long -Wundef -ansi -D_XOPEN_SOURCE=500 -D_BSD_SOURCE -Wcast-align -Wconversion -Wchar-subscripts -Wall -W -Wpointer-arith -g3 -fno-inline -Wformat-security -Wmissing-format-attribute -Wno-non-virtual-dtor -fno-exceptions -fno-check-new -fno-common -DQT_CLEAN_NAMESPACE -DQT_NO_ASCII_CAST -DQT_NO_STL -DQT_NO_COMPAT -DQT_NO_TRANSLATION -fPIC -DPIC -c /home/jholloway/amarok-svn/amarok/src/gpodmediadevice/gpodmediadevice.cpp -o ./amarok/src/gpodmediadevice/.libs/gpodmediadevice.o -Wp,-MD,./amarok/src/gpodmediadevice/.deps/gpodmediadevice.TUlo
In file included from /usr/local/include/gpod-1.0/gpod/itdb.h:43,
from /home/jholloway/amarok-svn/amarok/src/gpodmediadevice/gpodmediadevice.h:8,
from /home/jholloway/amarok-svn/amarok/src/gpodmediadevice/gpodmediadevice.cpp:7:
/usr/local/include/gpod-1.0/gpod/ipod-device.h:84:5: warning: \"HAVE_LIBHAL\" is not defined
/home/jholloway/amarok-svn/amarok/src/gpodmediadevice/gpodmediadevice.cpp: In member function \'virtual MediaItem* GpodMediaDevice::insertTrackIntoDB(const QString&, const MetaBundle&, bool)\':
/home/jholloway/amarok-svn/amarok/src/gpodmediadevice/gpodmediadevice.cpp:223: error: \'struct Itdb_Track\' has no member named \'flag3\'
/home/jholloway/amarok-svn/amarok/src/gpodmediadevice/gpodmediadevice.cpp:228: error: \'struct Itdb_Track\' has no member named \'flag3\'
/home/jholloway/amarok-svn/amarok/src/gpodmediadevice/gpodmediadevice.cpp: In member function \'void GpodMediaDevice::writeITunesDB()\':
/home/jholloway/amarok-svn/amarok/src/gpodmediadevice/gpodmediadevice.cpp:993: error: cannot convert \'GError**\' to \'const gchar*\' for argument \'2\' to \'gboolean itdb_shuffle_write(Itdb_iTunesDB*, const gchar*, GError**)\'
Error creating ./amarok/src/gpodmediadevice/gpodmediadevice.lo. Exit status 1

any ideas?
aumuell
Hi i2ambler,

yesterday I updated the ipod code to yesterday\'s libgpod. If you update your libgpod, then everything should be fine again.

As soon as there is a working release of libgpod these continuous update problems should stop.

Martin
Jason Holloway
Registered Member
Cool, yeah I did the same thing a little while ago and the problem went away.. The Ipod is working again now too.. :-) Although the free space shows incorrectly.. Thats no problem! I love the new 1.4.. Stability issues aside..
aumuell
What version of amaroK did show wrong free space info? In what way was it wrong? Could you please go to the amarok/src/gpodmediadevice directory and do a \"svn info | grep Revision\" and send me the output?

What kind of stability issues are you referring to?
Jason Holloway
Registered Member
Lets see.. in the media device it says \'0 tracks in queue, 3.2 gb of 1.1 gb available\' (?) Revision: 482058

Stability - it freezes up occasionally.. I have to rebuild my collection at times, because it will randomly show up empty..
aumuell
Hi i2ambler,

thank you for the feedback.

Wrt to stability, I cannot comment. The symptoms are just too vague. But recently, in rev 482395, there were changes regarding display of free space that hopefully fix this problem.
niko
whenever I use amaroK and libgpod to transfer to the iPod, the iPod doesnt turn off or if the screen goes off, a few hours later when I switch it back on it is drained of battery life.

whenever I use iTunes I dont have this problem.

heard of that phenomena before?
Jason Holloway
Registered Member
Cool... It was pretty random freezing, to be honest.. it seems to have stopped since my last update.. Thanks! :-)
aumuell
Hi niko,

did you already try \"eject /media/ipod\" (or wherever your ipod is mounted)? This should disconnect from your ipod and remove the \"do not connect\" screen.

But perhaps you meant s.th. different with the description of your problem. Then, please be a little bit more elaborate.
niko
yes, once its been unmounted and ejected and returns to regular playing use - after a transfer with libgpod it is a bit hosed.. it gets fixed after a format and transfer with iTunes though...
aumuell
Niko,

I think I know what you were referring to: When playing a song transferred with amaroK and pressing \'pause\', the iPod would pause playing, but battery would use up just as if the song continued playing. This was confirmed by several iPod nano users.

This problem should have been fixed 2 days ago.
pussfeller
yeah, I have this going on too, I thot I was crazy :)

in fact, last night, i formatted my ipod again from windows, plugged it in the charger till it was full, then put some songs on thru amarok, played it for about 1/2 hour and went to bed.

When I got up 7 hrs later, it was dead dead dead.

4g 20 gig

2 q, is this fixed in amarok-svn, or libgpod?

And is unmounting enough? it never rids me of the dont disconnect warning when I unmount.
aumuell
1st q: this was fixed in amaroK: we had to correctly set the file size of the media file in the ipod database

2nd q: just unmounting does not do it, ejecting the ipod is necessary. i have configured a \"sudo eject /media/ipod\" as my command for unmounting.
niko
you have done such a brilliant job with the artwork feature. amaroK kicks gtkpod out the window.