This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Feasibility of porting amaroK to an iPod.

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Chgu
This is just a concept I\'ve been throwings around. I have looked at iPod Linux and a few other firmware hacks for the iPod and started plotting out ways to make this possible. I know amaroK depends on KDE libs as is, but it would, in fact, require a GUI change to even fit on something like the iPod, so interface isn\'t the main worry.

The fact that there IS a running Linux kernel for the iPod starts a foundation for something like this to happen. The next thing would be the problem of processing power, which I think the iPod Photo and up have enough of to handle something like this.

Of course, the first step would be determining which features would fit well into a handheld player and revising back. For example, the note feature is a good example of how lyrics could be displayed. The way an \"On the go\" playlist is handled could be for queuing tracks. The main menu could take a complete and total revamp and maybe even be something like a set of drop down menus that the wheel can navigate through.

I\'d love to head something like this, but I\'d at least like to know if there\'s any sort of desire to do this...or if amaroK is even coded to be able to be stripped of KDE. I\'d HOPE functions like queuing aren\'t heavily tied into KDE libs. ;)

This could also be a starting ground for possibly designing a portable player running amaroK. Of course, it\'s also a start to porting it to other devices. I think that a portable amaroK device could hit off very well. Just supply themes, games and extra modules online, possibly for sale. Plenty of money to be made in that business.

By the way, the name for the project I thought up: amapoD
Aaron Cooper
Registered Member
OOoooooOOOoo cool idea :)

That\'d be interesting and I\'d definitely give it a try if it ever happened!
inkubux
Nice Idea, but I  see a better opportunity to support an already known firmware , have a look at www.rockbox.org. it's  just awesome, and already have all those features :)
fbgfb
Mike Shepard
Registered Member
I have a Toshiba E750 pocket pc that I use for my mp3's, it would be great to run amaroK on that but I doubt it will happen.  Does anyone know if amaroK will work on a sharp Zaurus?  I know kde is ported over to it, that would be great if amarok worked on it.  (been meaning to buy one sooner or later).

Cheers,
Mike