This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

standard volume/equalizer per song

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Hagna
Registered Member

standard volume/equalizer per song

Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:14 pm
I dont know if it is already somehow implemented, but would it not be great if you could set volume/equalizer settings per song, and the program would then remember that setting as it is played. I know this sounds complicated, but what i mean is this.

imagine you have 2 nice mp3's, one with LOUD music, making you have to run to adjust the volume, and one with somewhat silent, delicicate sounds, which require you to tweak you volume/equalizer each time it is played. Now i am proposing to store the normalized volume and equalizer settings PER SONG, this would be the 'normalized' sound of that mp3, creating a smooth, even volume over all songs. Then, impose the 'realtime' volume/equalizer settings over that sound, so people can increase/decrease the volume of the whole music stream.

adding volume adjustment could be as simple as defining a tag in the mp3 info with something like 'volume=+1' or 'volume=-3' attached to each single mp3 with adjustments.

just my 2 pence of input  :wink:
Jarsto
Registered Member
OS
You might want to check out the ReplayGain script. You can get it through the scriptmanager in Amarok. More information, about the dependecies and such, can be found at: http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show.php?content=26073

Basically it does what you're talking about for volume, though it doesn't do anything to the equalizer. The idea is that the volume you're hearing is pretty much the same for each song, and the volume slider is automatically adjusted to make that happen.

Jarsto

"There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."
W. Somerset Maugham
Hagna
Registered Member
Yes, thats tantalizingly close, it still misses some things and angles, i think i will tickle the brains of the maker(s) :)
Batterycell
Registered Member
For the equalizer it wouldn't be that hard to write a script to do it seeing as the dcop interface provides you with:
gQString genre()
and
void setEqualizerPreset( QString name )