This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Re: Questions Regarding amaroK rating system.

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Jean Of mArc
Registered Member
Hello! I'm new to this forum, however I'd like to learn more about the development of amaroK.

One question about the rating system I had in particular. By ratings, I'm referring to the user-set ratings (the stars), not the auto-scoring system that amaroK has.

Is it possible to actually embed the amaroK rating into the music file (MP3, OGG) itself? I rated a bunch of songs before, and (after properly backing things up), reformatted by Linux partition to install an upgraded distro. When I put my collection back in, all my ratings were gone. This is different from other music-managing programs which store the rating information into the music file itself so that it will always be available even when re-importing it.

I have some other questions, but these should do for now! :)

Jean Of mArc

Last edited by Jean Of mArc on Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
s|mon
Registered Member
Well maybe this could be achieved but i personally won't like it - cause everytime i change a rating my music files had to be altered.
This is not really bad (apart from changeing the checksum and therefore i can't see if it's still ok) but not necessary either (for me).
I think files should only be altered if absolutly necessary.

You could just  save your collection if you want to keep your stats (okay this is a lame advice after you've lost it - but for the future)
Maybe a script could do what you asked for.
b3nD3R
Registered Member
Wouldn't it be an option to make a button "save all my ratings to the files"?
It would be nice to have the ratings available on more than one computer without cloning the whole database and copying all the files...
dangle_wtf
b3nD3R wrote:Wouldn't it be an option to make a button "save all my ratings to the files"?
It would be nice to have the ratings available on more than one computer without cloning the whole database and copying all the files...

Sounds like a perfect candidate for an amarok script ;)

"There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works."
If men could get pregnant, we'd learn the true meaning of "screaming nancyboy wuss"
kraymer
Registered Member
I see the potential interest of saving ratings into the file by a script.
But then amarok dev should implement the copy of ratings from id3 tag to DB, during import, no ?
I'd want to write my first script for amaroK and this one could be the perfect candidate, once the point above is clarified ^^

ps : It would be cool to use the same ID3 tag 'ratings' field than Tag&Rename to store this info, as i don't know another tool which enable user to rate its songs in the tags.
axl55aa
Registered Member
foobar uses a tag called "rating" with values form 0.0 to 5.0.
These tags are corresponding to `dcop amarok player rating` / 2.0.
It would be nice if amaroK could import them.
To do so by a script, there would have to be a DCOP function getTag(tagname,index=0) which unfortunately does not exists.

Cheers,

Axel

Last edited by axl55aa on Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.