This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

subsonic server -> amarok -> last.fm?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
DocReedSolomon
Registered Member
hi!
i recently installed subsonic:
http://subsonic.sourceforge.net/

amarok is streaming my collection fine using subsonic like this:
http://localhost:8080/subsonic/play.m3u?

infact this is not a radio-station, but my local collection in a LAN, couldnt that info be submitted to last.fm? i dont think it is against their rules, is it?
DocReedSolomon
Registered Member
anyone?  :confused:
tante
Registered Member
Last.fm does not want streaming media submitted to the service (apart from their own service). Amarok cannot decide whether your stream is a "good one" or a "bad one", so it's not submitting streams at all to make sure last.fm's TOS are kept.

"Governments can be useful to the governed only so long as inherent
tendencies toward tyranny are restrained."
Frank Herbert, 'God Emperor Of Dune'
DocReedSolomon
Registered Member
Jürgen Geuter wrote:Amarok cannot decide whether your stream is a "good one" or a "bad one",

well, using IP 127.0.0.1 or localhost fer sure is a "good one"?
i have not seen yet someone fakeing this  :biggrin:

Last edited by DocReedSolomon on Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tante
Registered Member
DocReedSolomon wrote:
Jürgen Geuter wrote:Amarok cannot decide whether your stream is a "good one" or a "bad one",

well, using IP 127.0.0.1 or localhost fer sure is a "good one"?
i have not seen yet someone fakeing this  :biggrin:

I have all my music on a server in my local network with the IP 192.168.0.199, that one is "good", too.
The problem is, I guess, that having it submit random streams would be a bad idea cause it opens the door to violating last.fm's TOS.
Of course it would be neat (especially for people like me who like somafm a lot, but you can't have everything ;)

"Governments can be useful to the governed only so long as inherent
tendencies toward tyranny are restrained."
Frank Herbert, 'God Emperor Of Dune'
DocReedSolomon
Registered Member
i am not even talking about a local server in my LAN, but on my local machine playing the sounds, 127.0.0.1.
who the **** is going to fake that one?
you cant!
dangle_wtf
The point is, that Amarok *plays* it as a stream, and as such, it is not allowed to submit the info to last.fm.
If you want to submit the tracks, play music stored locally via your collection, rather than streaming it.

Just because you CAN do something, doesn't mean you *have* to ;)

"There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works."
If men could get pregnant, we'd learn the true meaning of "screaming nancyboy wuss"
theBlackDragon
Registered Member
Or you could use MPD to stream your music using Icecast as there is an audioscrobbler plugin for MPD (I posted some info on how to get this working here for those who are interesed).

If you don't want to do that the best course of action would be to implement, or have someone implement, scrobbling in Subsonic.

But honestly, unless you'll be accessing that stream from different locations I don't see why you wouldn't just use amarok. I set up MPD/Icecast back then because I had to run back and forth between different PCs in different rooms, but when I don't have to do so I just use Amarok.