This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

fullscreen GUI & larger cover images over dcop

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
comar
Registered Member
Hi,

I've started to develop an external Amarok-Fullscreen-GUI. It is written in C++/Qt and uses DCOP to get infos about current track.

The problem is that I can't get the album cover image in original size but only the 100x100 version. I use the DCOP-call albumcover(). Is there a way how to get the path to the full sized image of the current album playing?

For those interested:
I've attached a screenshot of the current version. For now, it's just a one huge hack but I'm working on it..  :wink:

Jan
stokedfish
Awesomeness!

Will there be a public release any time soon?
marcel
Registered Member
OS
I lack some insights here, but here's a suggestion: how about using the query() call to look up the location of the large cover from the database and load that?
comar
Registered Member
stokedfish wrote:Awesomeness!

Will there be a public release any time soon?

maybe when I get the buttons working. Now they're just useless bitmap-dummies.  :biggrin:  I guess I could make a working prototype till Thursday.

marcel wrote:I lack some insights here, but here's a suggestion: how about using the query() call to look up the location of the large cover from the database and load that?

that idea came to me too and in fact it is working!
You just need to make 2 sql-queries to get the full path to the original album cover:
Code: Select all
select path from images where artist=<artist_name> and album=<album_name>
select lastmountpoint from devices where id=(select deviceid from images where artist=<artist_name> and album=<album_name>)

the resulting lastmountpoint+path gives the full path to the cover.
but still it would be much easier if there was a dcop-function inside amarok for this. It would also make the development of karamba-themes much easier.
stokedfish
Well, there's no hurry! But please post it to kde-apps.org once it's done, that would be great!  ;)
Hans
Administrator
OS
stokedfish wrote:Awesomeness!

Yes, it looks very nice indeed.  :smilie:

Problem solved? Please click on "Accept this answer" below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.

10 things you might want to do in KDE | Open menu with Super key | Mouse shortcuts
comar
Registered Member
Well, I've managed to get it all working. Right now, there are only two features:
1) it builds
2) it runs
:wink:

There's still a lot of work to do before I can release it on kde-apps.org

You can get the source from http://stud4.tuwien.ac.at/~e0426379/amarokFS/

To build it, you need Qt3 development libraries and tools, some kde-development libraries (dcopclient.h) and the g++ compiler. To build it, just run "make". If it doesn't work, try to run "qmake" first and then "make". The executable will be named "amarokFS".

I'm open for any suggestions.

Enjoy!
stokedfish
Dude, I LOVE YOU!  :cool:
stokedfish
Okay, so I put on random play and tried it with like 50 albums. My collection has exactly 200 albums at the moment, *all* of them with cover. It couldn't get like 2 covers (I have no idea why, Amarok shows them just fine) but other than that this works great.

I don't know why you say you can't post this to kde-apps.org - maybe you should, you'd get much more feedback! 

But of course I can understand if you don't want to post it yet, it's your baby after all...  :)

Btw, this interface is extremely fast. The KoverSS script had like 5-10 secons to update a cover after a song change (that was very annoying) but your fullscreen-interface shows them instantly. Great work!!!

(pretty much the only thing I miss is the year)

Finally, I can see my cover in a reasonable size.
So my work to collect them and all the hours I spent on my collection wasn't for nothng...awesome, just awesome!

I had the same feeling the last time when the conTEXT script was released.

(I reviewed *all* of my 200 albums and the reviews are in a *.txt file and show up when I play them on the CB)  <3

Erm, yeah, whatever...great work, keep that up.
There's been huge demand for a full-screen interface, people will love it! THX!  :)

Last edited by stokedfish on Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
marcel
Registered Member
OS
stokedfish wrote:Okay, so I put on random play and tried it with like 50 albums. My collection has exactly 200 albums at the moment, *all* of them with cover. It couldn't get like 2 covers (I have no idea why, Amarok shows them just fine) but other than that this works great.

Can this be an encoding issue (tracks using e.g. German umlauts or other special characters?)
stokedfish
No, one cover was for a band called...

I Love You But I've Chosen Darkness

(yes, that's the band name)

and the other one I don't remember, sorry.

I just tried it again - Amarok displays the cover fine, the fs-interface doesn't.

All my covers are in 300x300, so is this one....filename/path too long? It's in /media/stoked/backup share final/possessdby/Load Up On Guns/I Love You But I've Chosen Darkness/I Love You But I've Chosen Darkness - 2006 - Fear Is On Our Side (Secretly Canadian)/...

Last edited by stokedfish on Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stokedfish
Hmmm. I see...

Amarok shows a slightly different cover, obviously one fetched from Amazon or whatever.

The problem is that I can't set it to my own cover manually, because then my own cover gets deleted! o.O the famous and hihgly annoying "Amarok deletes my covers!" bug, hopefully (!!) fixed in the upcoming 1.4.5...but yeah, why can't Amarok show this cover? As far as I know I have longer filepaths than this one and they show up just fine...
stokedfish
Is it possible that it (or Amarok) can't get the covers when there's a ' in the filename?

Autumn's Grey Solace fails as well, same for a Buck Clayton album that contains Swingin'...
ChandlerBing
Registered Member
awesome!

Would it be possible to use that as my screensaver in the future?

@cover problems: I think it also has problems with songs having "(" or ")" in the title.

Here's how to get the cover images in fullsize:
- use dcop to get the location of the small cover:
e.g.: dcop amarok player coverImage gives:
.kde/share/apps/amarok/albumcovers/cache/150@5e821c5ba0b85ff15e366b697c909eab
- The fullsize cover is:
.kde/share/apps/amarok/albumcovers/tagcover/5e821c5ba0b85ff15e366b697c909eab
yaccin
Registered Member
i dont get ANY cover displayed :( but this just rocks :D

make another version which uses composite effects, like aiglx etc... so it blends better with my beryl desktop :D