This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Can These Functionalities Be Implemented Using Scripts

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
LordKelvan
Registered Member
Hi:

Just switched over to KDE and amarok is pretty cool (extreeemmmeeelllyyyy FAST).  There are a couple of things I would like to change (no, these aren't feature requests, so please read on :) ):

• a global shortcut key for permanently deleting a file (and perhaps the ability to define global shortcut keys for all functions later on)
  • being able to play a song directly from the "Collections" tab, by double-clicking the song (ideal); so basically change it so that if the song isn't on the playlist, its added to the list and played, and if it is on the playlist, then its simply played
  • right now, if I pause a song, the "pause" button still displays the "pause" button symbol, whereas I am use to it showing the "play" button symbol when paused, and the "pause" button symbol when playing

Now, I was going to create some scripts to do this, but after looking at the list of DCOP functions, it doesn't seem possible to do these things using scripts.  So I would like to know, from the gurus out there, if the functionality I want can be achieved by scripts (or perhaps they are already achievable and I was just too blind to see them).  If not, I will modify the source code.

Thanks,
LK
LordKelvan
Registered Member
Hi:

I see that this post has received a number of views - but no replies.  I mean I don't need a 100% definite answer, even a 80% answer will do. 

Cheers,
LK
dangle_wtf
threads are flagged with a view if an rss reader fetches the post... doesn't always mean it's been read by a human ;)

Have you had a look through kde-apps.org for amarok scripts? Plenty there, might be something that does part of what you want.

The play/pause icon thing sounds like it could be a bug - or it might depend on your icon theme - perhaps check bugs.kde.org and post there about that one.

"There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works."
If men could get pregnant, we'd learn the true meaning of "screaming nancyboy wuss"
Alanceil
Registered Member
OS
For the delete file script:

I assume you want to delete currently playing song from your hard disk.

You can get the path of the current playing song with "dcop amarok player path".
I'd put this in a shellscript one-liner:
Code: Select all
#!/bin/bash
rm "`dcop amarok player path`"

Now assign a key to this script, using KHotKeys. Open your kcontrol -> Regional & Access. -> Input Actions. There you can create a global key combination that calls the script, which then deletes the file.

For generally deleting a file.. well, mark them in Konqueror and press 'Delete' :)
LordKelvan
Registered Member
Didn't know about that "view count" thing, thanks for informing me, and thanks for the replies. 

Alanceil: You are correct in that what you suggest would work, but I suppose I am really looking for the feature where I can assign a short-cut to any command in amarok (i.e. any menu item can have a shortcut key assigned to it).

dangle_wtf: I appear to be using a custom icon theme - I will further investigate this.

I have looked at the scripts at kde-apps.org, and cannot see any script which can change the "Collections" behaviour.  I suppose it is safe to assume that scripts cannot be made to achieve this?