This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Amarok 2 on Mandriva 2009.0

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
debaser
Registered Member

Amarok 2 on Mandriva 2009.0

Sat Oct 11, 2008 6:21 pm
Hi guys
Beta looking good, love the lyrics widget!
Can I just check that there is no ipod or player device support in the current beta, and it's not something to do with the new mandriva not being compiled with libgpod (installed)?
If no support when is this likely to come in please, need to check if I need to go back to 1.4.
Kind Regards
davizion
Registered Member

Re: Amarok 2 on Mandriva 2009.0

Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:17 am
Hi there! I'm a Mandriva user an Just want to say that the new Amarok looks great. There is just one problem... I don't know if this is a Mandriva 2009 problem or a Amarok problem. Some mp3 just won't play in Amarok. Other players don't have this problem with the same OS.
What can I do? 
markey
KDE Developer
OS

Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:23 am
Mandriva uses the GStreamer Phonon backend by default, which is pretty buggy from our experience. Try to install the xine Phonon backend and switch to it.

--
Mark Kretschmann - Amarok Developer
davizion
Registered Member

Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:37 am
Thanks for the fast reply!!!
I can' try it jet but I will definitely  let you know what my results are!

greetz
davizion
Registered Member

Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:43 pm
Hell yeah!

That did the trick  :cool:
I've got my music working again!
:woot:

Amarok rocks!
Thanks a lot. I'll be using the program on a daily basis again!
efeldhaus
Registered Member

Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:09 pm
I am a bit puzzled with this release...

I upgraded from Mandriva 2008.1 to Mandriva 2009.0 and amarok 2 was installed in lieu of amarok 1.4.10.

In version 1.4.10 there were many more settings available in the Configuration interface.  Especially, I am missing the mysql settings so I can access my large database which sits on a server...

Is there no way to configure that anymore?

Any clues will be appreciated!!
markey
KDE Developer
OS

Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:13 pm

--
efeldhaus
Registered Member

Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:28 am
Thx for the hint.

I did find the mysql script for importing data from 1.4 and added my server settings... but I don't really know if the application actually imported anything.

The other thing is that when I rescanned my collection all my albums that were sorted under various artists are now sorted by artist... How can I have Amarok respect the sorting by various artists if the files are in a folder called just that?
efeldhaus
Registered Member

Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:48 am
As far as I can tell, my mysql database used for 1.4 was not imported and I don't know how to explicitly tell Amarok to do so.

Any ideas?

Thx
efeldhaus
Registered Member

Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:30 am
I am about to give up....

These are the essential issues:

1. I cannot get my collection's data imported from the previous database (which is sitting on an external MySQL server)
2. Albums that I had sorted under Various Artists are now shown by their Author.  These are literally hundreds, so I don't see myself specifying for each occurrence that it should be sorted as Various Artists
3. Amarok monopolises my sound output so that I cannot talk on Skype or hear other media at the same time

Any hints would be very welcome!
efeldhaus
Registered Member

Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:16 pm
Is there a place where I can read about migrating from version 1.4.10 to version 2?
markey
KDE Developer
OS

Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:07 am
The Beta 3 release (soon to come) will feature a database importer for migration from 1.4 to 2.0.

--
efeldhaus
Registered Member

Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:31 pm
Thx for the info.

I think I will stick with 1.4.10 for the time being.  Reasons:

• Filters (added today, etc.)
  • External MySQL database (I use the same database on different computers)
  • Sorting (v2 sorts everything by author/release, etc. but does not automatically put releases with various artists under "various artists")
  • More scripts available

Except, of course, if someone can help me obtain at least similar results with v2...

Cheers