This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Media Transcoder Program

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
LD
Registered Member

Media Transcoder Program

Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:11 am
I've started trying to code a media transcoder program in C++ and will of course offer it up here for usage when it's completed. Thing is I'm wondering if I'm thinking this the wrong way. Thing is I don't want to reinvent the wheel too much. I'm looking over the last stable src release and trying to figure out what I'm doing. Also trying to figure out where to go with things like binding and script calls.

Now, this may be novice nievite at work here. I'm just wondering how much can already be done through whats in the program and how much has to be added. Right now as I concider what I'm doing I'm pretty certain that any video calls will have to be done from scratch.

However, thinking on it the audio conversion process SHOULD (operative term) be easily accomplished through the phonon interface. I think, I'm not certain and I am just currently learning more and more as I try to do things right.

THoughts on this?
markey
KDE Developer
OS

Re: Media Transcoder Program

Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:01 am
Note that you cannot directly access the PCM audio stream with Phonon at this time. This function is part of the experimental API that's not yet implemented in stock Phonon.

--
Mark Kretschmann - Amarok Developer
Uninstall
Registered Member

Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:04 pm
I'm already working on a transcoding program me too.
Basicaly I'm porting transkode from KDE/Qt 3 to KDE/Qt 4, If you are interested on it plese ping me.
LD
Registered Member

Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:51 am
I am interested, mostly I'm learning C/C++ as I go on this so I will ask on that.

I'm wondering what will be best on the coding script as I want mine to sort of be an all in one transcoder if that's even worth the time.

It be nice anyways.
LD
Registered Member

Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:41 am
Here's a question.

Can the media transcode really just be something like a fuse filesystem that works in the background?

Something like mp3fs. Either way I think the new transcode function needs to make it easy to set vbr, bitrate, and file type.