This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Re: Amarok-nightly 200881113.7+svn883756-0neon1 doesn't install into Intrepid Ibex

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
HalphaZ
Registered Member
Hello,
I'm having this problem when try to install Amarok-nightly:
Synaptic says:
"E: /var/cache/apt/archives/amarok-nightly_20081113.7+svn883756-0neon1_i386.deb: tentata sovrascrittura di `/opt/amarok-nightly/share/kde4/servicetypes/plasma-scriptengine.desktop', che si trova anche nel pacchetto amarok-nightly-kdelibs"

In english, there is a file (plasma-scriptengine.desktop) that is in the packet amarok-nightly-kdelibs, but amarok-nightly_20081113.7+svn883756-0neon1_i386.deb is trying to overwrite it...

Can you help me?

(Sorry for my not perfect english)
seeker5528
Registered Member
This is a packaging problem.

Until it gets fixed, you can get around the issue by opening a terminal window and changing to the location of the .deb files, then typing:

sudo dpkg -i --force-overwrite  amarok-nightly*.deb

: If these were from an apt repository and apt-get or other front end used to attempt the installation these files would be located in '/var/cache/apt/archives/'.

Later, Seeker
HalphaZ
Registered Member
Thank you a lot, now it works.

I hope "--force-overwrite" parameter won't corrupt my packages installation ;-)
seeker5528
Registered Member
In most cases where I have run into these types of issues, there were no issues resulting from the overwrite, but there is potential so do want to take stock of the situation before forcing an overwrite, the more critical the file being overwritten is the more concern you want to have over potential consequences.

In this case it looks like it was just an error in the packaging somewhere that caused the same file to be included in two packages, and they are both Amarok related packages so the risk is pretty small that any negative impact would do more than cause Amarok not to work.

Later, Seeker