This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Looking to help out with development.

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
ice-nine
Registered Member
Hello Amarok Friends,

Using Amarok for my music collection, I found that I would like to have UPnP support for Amarok (mainly to have it function as a client and accept streaming audio from my NAS box).  Unfortunately this feature is not available in the most recent version.  So I figured I might lend a hand trying to code it myself.  The thing is, this may be a little over my head for the time being so I'd probably be of more use doing something a little less complex.  I have a bit of experience with QT3/4 so if there is another item or feature that someone is working on and wouldn't mind some help, I'd be more than willing to get my feet wet this way.  That way I'd be actually able to see the work in progress evolving. 

This would be my first time helping develop an open source project so I'm not too sure about the whole process, but no better way to learn than to jump right in.

ice-nine
Mamarok
Manager
OS
Nice to read your interest in the project  :smilie:
To start with Amarok development I suggest you read a few guidelines you can find here:

http://amarok.kde.org/wiki/Development/Join

as well as here:

http://kollide.net:8060/browse/Amarok/HACKING.

The developers usually hand out in the IRC channel #amarok on Freenode, feel free to join and ping any of them if you need more help  :smilie:

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
konerx
Registered Member
Inspired by the new release, I'm also looking to help. :oP

PS that second link doesn't work...
dangle_wtf
You can find the file referred to in the second link inside any Amarok tarball.

"There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works."
If men could get pregnant, we'd learn the true meaning of "screaming nancyboy wuss"
markey
KDE Developer
OS
You may also access it from the web:

http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/extragear/m ... k/HACKING/

--
Mark Kretschmann - Amarok Developer
runsnbunsn
Registered Member
upnp would be a really great feature for amarok, would love to see this!

i'm also seeking of a way how i can help the project, problem is that i'm only experienced in PHP, and very little in C++, would have enough  time i think.
if something web-specific is needed i can help out!
i also do some testing cause i have a ubuntu(gnome) server, OSX for working and Vista for gaming, all 3 machines running amarok ;)