This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

how to use fingerprinting

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
patelss23
Registered Member

how to use fingerprinting

Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:26 pm
Hello All,

I am pretty new to Amarok. I am in a need of fingerprinting media files.
I want to compare two files using their fingerprints (as they have bad ID3s,filenames and different encodings) and want to see if they
are the files of same song or not?

I know that Amarok has a module which does fingerprinting. But I am not sure how to use it and how does it work.
Can any please tell me how I can use this feature to solve my problem?

I would appreciate any help.
Thank you,
sanket
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Re: how to use fingerprinting

Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:29 am
You will have to be patient, as it's not implemented in the released versions yet. Maybe 2.1 or later. This depends on the manpower available.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
JonnyJD
Registered Member

Re: how to use fingerprinting

Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:19 pm
I wouldn't do this in amarok. There are programs specialized on this.

Try MusicBrainz Picard. This is a program to tag files in a semi-automatic fashion. Part of this are so called PUIDs, which are fingerprints:
http://musicbrainz.org/doc/PicardTagger

Last.fm also uses fingerprints, but for your task the normal program doesn't help. There is a utility tool that can give you the fingerprints and/or tell you what the song is called by most people:
http://blog.last.fm/2007/08/29/audio-fi ... n-metadata

I would recommend Picard for your task.

I hope amarok gets fingerprinting support, but I don't know if this would actually help you with your problem. There won't be a popup telling you that 2 of your files in your DB are identical, I guess.