This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

random album dcopext problem

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
monguin61
Registered Member

random album dcopext problem

Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:52 am
I'm trying to get random album play working in Amarok, but I'm having some trouble. I found this script:

http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show.php?content=42764

When I try to run this script I get a dialog box telling me "dcopext module is required for this script" and then an error message:

The script 'randomalbum.py' exited with error code: 1

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/home/alan/.kde/share/apps/amarok/scripts/random-album/randomalbum.py", line 30, in
import dcopext
ImportError: No module named dcopext

I tried sudo apt-get install python-dcop and that didn't seem to help. Can anyone give me some help getting this to work?

I posted this same question on the page listed above, but I figure this forum is more active so maybe I can get more help here.

Thanks
dangle_wtf

Re: random album dcopext problem

Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:49 am
Are you using Amarok 1.4? Old scripts won't work in Amarok 2.

"There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works."
If men could get pregnant, we'd learn the true meaning of "screaming nancyboy wuss"
monguin61
Registered Member

Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:01 pm
About says 1.4.9.1 using KDE 3.5.10. Should I be using 2.0? Can anyone tell me if there is a random album script for 2.0 (or something to provide similar functionality) ?
dangle_wtf

Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:37 pm
I thought Amarok 1.4 already had random album support built in. Have a look through the shuffle options - it's not perfect, but it's at least a start.
You can search for amarok2 scripts on kde-apps as well.

Also, you might be missing a python bindings module.

"There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works."
If men could get pregnant, we'd learn the true meaning of "screaming nancyboy wuss"
monguin61
Registered Member

Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:48 pm
It has a random album shuffle for the playlist, but that doesn't really work for me because I would need to put my entire library in the playlist. What I want isn't really a "shuffle", but rather, "when queue finishes, select an album at random from library, add to queue, play". Also, there is no way to "trigger" the random selection, so if I want to go to a new album, I have to do it manually (bring up amarok, change track to last track in album, click next track button - all of this instead of a simple keyboard shortcut like ctrl-alt-q, which I can easily do in winamp). I'm not sure if that script I found will solve that second problem, but I think it solves the first.