This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

developing for amarock

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
longlivethebestos
Registered Member

developing for amarock

Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:25 pm
Hi,

I wanted to know if I were to start contributing to the amarock project what would I need to know, like do I need to know c++ and Qt? or just c++, maybe something else.

Thanks
markey
KDE Developer
OS

Re: developing for amarock

Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:41 pm
longlivethebestos wrote:Hi,

I wanted to know if I were to start contributing to the amarock project what would I need to know, like do I need to know c++ and Qt? or just c++, maybe something else.

Thanks

Yes, Amarok is based on C++, Qt, and KDElibs. And we're very happy about new contributors, and we're also happy to help them, usually :)

Some tips:

* Read the contents of amarok/HACKING in the source
* Feel free to ask questions
* Join us on IRC (irc.freenode.net / #amarok), as our development is very IRC based
* Check out our mailing list, we can also help there: https://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/amarok

Have fun, and feel free to ask us if you have problems :)

--
Mark Kretschmann - Amarok Developer
longlivethebestos
Registered Member

Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:36 pm
So I found this book on learning Qt
Its based on Qt 4.1 does this matter? Seeing as there is a newer version of Qt or am I getting this wrong.

And another thing, you know the way you program in a development enviroment for C++ (obviously) is there a special Qt development program or something? (Specifically for linux)

Thanks
nhn
KDE Developer
OS

Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:42 pm
There are of course improvements from Qt 4.1 to 4.4/4.5 which we use now, but the basics are the same, so the book should give you a good foundation.

As for development environment, some people prefer just a simple text editor, some use vim or emacs. Personally I like KDevelop as it is a nicely integrated development environment.

- Nikolaj
longlivethebestos
Registered Member

Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:13 pm
Thanks for the fast response,

hopefully when I'm finished learning I can start contributing (to amarock and KDE/KDE apps!!)

When I do start I will go with your recomendation and use: Kdevelop.

Thanks again