This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Change playing track from cmdline / external program

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
ratface
Registered Member
OS
Hi there,

I'm writing a small tool to control amarok remotely. Thus far I've been sucessfully using the dbus interface to do most things, but I need to be able to specify a track to play from the playlist by it's track ID.

There appears to be no dbus method to do this. I've reviewed everything in /Player and /TrackList.

So far I've worked out you can do it inside an Amarok script with the following:

Amarok.Playlist.playByIndex(id);

But I need to be able to do this from an external program. How might I go about this? Is there a way to call run an amarok script from an external program / command-line?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Jamie.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Assuming Amarok scripts have access to the QtDBus module, then you could use your script to export a DBus interface for you to use from your command line application.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
ratface
Registered Member
OS
Thanks for the tip, but I don't think it's available.

I may be way off track here, but I'm assuming it would have to be loaded with the Importer.loadQtBinding('qt.dbus'); method.

This returns false, and the amarok wiki says:

* void loadQtBinding( String binding )

Choices include:

* qt.core
* qt.gui
* qt.network
* qt.xml
* qt.sql
* qt.uitools

Is there any other way to load Qt modules in Amarok, or am I through?
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Unfortunately then it does not appear that DBus can be scripted ( using QtScript ) at this time.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]