This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Setting up debugging and run in kdevelop

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
PlastyGrove
Registered Member
OS
Hi all -

I'm new to kdevelop and amarok as well. I've finally got the code through git and all the dependencies installed and the project workspace set up in kdevelop. It even builds it when I say "build all projects" although I suspect there is no specific build configuration set up for it.

How do we set it up so that we have a separate instance of amarok? this is separate from the version that I've got installed in ubuntu. I'd like to be able to debug and step through the code using kdevelop. Is this possible? I've got extensive experience developing in eclipse ide and this is the first time I'm using kdevelop. Any help will be highly appreciated. I did check out the wiki, but there isn't extensive documentation on this stuff.

Thanks!
Plasty
PlastyGrove
Registered Member
OS
Just found a doc in the HACKING folder in the src. Is it possible to have a stable one and a development version together? Or do I HAVE to have only one of them at any point in time?
markey
KDE Developer
OS
I don't use KDevelop, but I could help you setting up Qt Creator, if you are interested in that.

--
Mark Kretschmann - Amarok Developer
PlastyGrove
Registered Member
OS
Thanks Mark, that would be great. I don't mind any IDE since both of them are equally new to me and I really don't want to work on vi or emacs for gui apps.

Just installed Qt Creator. Do you have any links or steps on how to get amarok imported into it?

Right now, I got rid of the system installed version of amarok and followed the steps given in the Hacking document. I can compile and run the application.
markey
KDE Developer
OS
PlastyGrove wrote:Thanks Mark, that would be great. I don't mind any IDE since both of them are equally new to me and I really don't want to work on vi or emacs for gui apps.

Just installed Qt Creator. Do you have any links or steps on how to get amarok imported into it?

Right now, I got rid of the system installed version of amarok and followed the steps given in the Hacking document. I can compile and run the application.

Ok. So, first of all, I do actually recommend using Creator version 1.3 (which is in beta state or something), as it has many bug fixes compared to 1.2.

Anyway, to open the Amarok as a project in Creator, go to the menu, then "File", "Open File Or Project", and then navigate to your Amarok source dir. In amarok/, there is a file CMakeLists.txt. Select it, and you're good to go.

I can give you further tips another time, just let me know if this step worked.

--
PlastyGrove
Registered Member
OS
I got 1.3 beta (which is actually 1.2.92) and installed it for my login. From what little I worked on 1.2 I can see there is quite a bit of difference in the menus.

Thanks for the instructions. That was easy enough. I'm building it right now as I type this and it seems to be going through okay. Since this is my first time build, I presume it's going to take a while.

I'll start playing around with the interface and the editor and the code. See if I can make some sense out of the code. Haven't worked on Qt before, but I should be able to learn. The help files and tuts in qt creator seem like a good place to start.

I can give you further tips another time, just let me know if this step worked.

That would be great. I'd really appreciate that.

Thanks!
Plasty
PlastyGrove
Registered Member
OS
Qt Creator seems rather weird with breakpoints. Sometimes it picks them up and sometimes it doesn't. Am I doing something wrong. All I'm doing is setting it in the margin on the left and running it with F5.
markey
KDE Developer
OS
PlastyGrove wrote:Qt Creator seems rather weird with breakpoints. Sometimes it picks them up and sometimes it doesn't. Am I doing something wrong. All I'm doing is setting it in the margin on the left and running it with F5.

Hmm, no idea, they usually work fine for me.

A tip: ask in #qt-creator on irc.freenode.net. The developers themselves are there, and they know pretty much everything.

--