This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

No sound in current Amarok Git

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Dieter Schroeder
Registered Member
OS

No sound in current Amarok Git

Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:57 pm
Hello all,

there's no sound at current Amarok git (build today).
Phonon test runs successfully, kaffeine plays tracks with sound. So this should be an Amarok issue.
EDIT: changed backend from xine to vlc, amarok crashed. Amarok restarted and now I have 0 tracks in my collection (again).
I'm working for a company selling databases, you know them, and regularly losing all data is amarok's most annoying "feature". I did it the simple way and copied the whole directory to .bak and now back. Result 0 tracks.
Thank god, I'm no longer interested in any statistics features, but I understand any user, who will become upset. Since amarok 1.x there is no stable data handling in amarok. Instead of adding more and more features, better put more priority on data integrity.
Anyway, back to xine. VLC is not an option for me, because playback stutters and I'm not interested in the overhead of VLC on my productivity notebook. Gstreamer simply s****.

m0nk

Last edited by Dieter Schroeder on Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

If men could get pregnant, abortion would be a sacrament.
Sentynel
KDE Developer
OS

Re: No sound in current Amarok Git

Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:11 pm
There haven't been any changes in Git for several days, other than .desktop file alterations by the script, and nothing affecting audio for much longer than that. This is a local issue.

Have you tried muting/unmuting it and/or adjusting the volume?

Are you using PulseAudio? If so, open KMix (if you're on a recent KDE version) or pavucontrol and check if Amarok appears under "Playback Streams".

Dieter Schroeder
Registered Member
OS

Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:13 pm
As I already wrote, kaffeine using phonon works. Amarok works with vlc backend, but not with the preferred xine backend.

m0nk

Sentynel
KDE Developer
OS

Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:22 pm
You appear to be using an old version of Phonon. New versions don't allow you to switch backend in running programs, since as you've observed it crashes - it just waits until the software is restarted. I advise you update. You might find your issues with the VLC and/or GStreamer backends are gone.
Either way, Xine is deprecated and unsupported, and once again, Amarok's playback code has not changed.

Dieter Schroeder
Registered Member
OS

Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:29 pm
Meaning, that either using stuttering vlc backend or "gnomish install 5000 packages" gstreamer?
Well, then goodbye amarok. I've gone with you as far as I could. Now it's time to break away.

m0nk

stuffcorpse
KDE Developer
OS

Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:40 pm
This also happens here, after the TheCrasher-spectrumAnalyzer merge (1e28f78). Tried with phonon 4.5.55 and phonon-vlc/xine. Don't remember if it crashed though.
google01103
Manager

Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:51 pm
D - I'm running same as you (11.4, 4.7, git) and using the VLC backend and all is working fine, but when I changed to Xine the sound disappeared - this is pretty recent behavior guessing last month or so.

note: switching from Xine to VLC crashes Amarok.

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

Sentynel
KDE Developer
OS

Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:52 pm
stuffcorpse wrote:This also happens here, after the TheCrasher-spectrumAnalyzer merge (1e28f78). Tried with phonon 4.5.55 and phonon-vlc/xine. Don't remember if it crashed though.

Ah, that's true, missed the merge commit. Still, as I said, Xine is deprecated, and it works with both GStreamer and VLC backends.

s|mon
Registered Member

Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:53 pm
Hm to bad, i was really happy with xine backend since it was available.
Was there no maintainer for the xine backend or why is it dropped?
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:00 pm
There is no active development both in the xine-project and for the phonon-backend-xine.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
google01103
Manager

Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:12 pm
s|mon wrote:Hm to bad, i was really happy with xine backend since it was available.
Was there no maintainer for the xine backend or why is it dropped?

on the Phonon web site it states "Phonon-Xine: Formerly the most popular backend for Phonon; now unmaintained, and deprecated" more info might be available on the the Phonon backends mailing list https://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/phonon-backends

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

s|mon
Registered Member

Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:36 pm
Thanks for the info!