This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Album covers and database

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
fassan

Album covers and database

Mon May 08, 2006 3:49 am
I have two differnent computers using the smae mysql database for amarok.  On the computer wich hosts the database, i have gone through and set 99% of the album covers.  I was sad to see that these do not show up on the second machine.  Is there any way that the album covers or at least their locations could be made part of the database... so that when another computer uses the same database, the album covers are already set and either come across the network or download to a local folder?  I realize that this might create more overhead for the database, but I would love to have the option.
mico

Re: Album covers and database

Mon May 08, 2006 10:01 am
All you need to do is copy your ~/.kde/share/apps/amarok/albumcovers/ to any computer. The covers are all named as a hash of album+artist, so amaroK will use a cover if it sees it there.

( see http://amarok.kde.org/forum/index.php/t ... 741.0.html )
fpflug
Registered Member
OS
what if this doesn't work out?

I've just installed openSUSE 11 and kept a backup of my .kde/share/apps/amarok/.
Copied it to the fresh formated/installed /home but the collection was not recognized and so weren't the covers.

Thank you!
fpflug
Registered Member
OS

Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:16 am
it does work. :-)
probably missing collection update.
pburness
Registered Member

Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:53 pm
Will this work for amarok2? Can I move the amarok 1.4 directory for albumcovers to the amarok 2.0?
Henri
Registered Member

Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:53 pm
Hi folks,

I do it this way:

Server has a full installation with database, music-files and cover-art.
- Base-Path is: /mnt/multimedia/sound
- Sound-files path: /mnt/multimedia/sound/artists
- Cover-art-path: /mnt/multimedia/sound/coverart
- Personal-amarok-data-path: ~/.kde4/share/apps/amarok
  (Like it's added after using amarok on the server for the first time.)

Now I delete ~/.kde4/share/apps/amarok/albumcovers on the server and create a symlink from /mnt/multimedia/sound/coverart to ~/.kde4/share/apps/amarok/albumcovers
# ln -s /mnt/multimedia/sound/coverart ~/.kde4/share/apps/amarok/albumcovers

(To keep my system's security, I created a new group "librarymusik" and set all files in .../artists and .../coverart to root:librarymusik, 664 and the subdirs to root:librarymusik, 775 and added all users which should be able to add/change the librarie's data to the librarymusik group.)

Then I export the sound files dir (/mnt/multimedia/sound/artists) with nfs on the server and also export /mnt/multimedia/sound/coverart.

On the client, for example Laptop, I do the following:
- Install and start amarok one time, then close it.
- Add nfs exports to fstab like...
  server:/mnt/multimedia/sound/artists  /mnt/multimedia/sound/artists  nfs  auto  0 0
  server:/mnt/multimedia/sound/coverart  mnt/multimedia/sound/coverart  nfs  auto  0 0
- mount both exports
- Again, I delete ~/.kde4/share/apps/amarok/albumcovers and create a symlink from /mnt/multimedia/sound/coverart to ~/.kde4/share/apps/amarok/albumcovers

I don't do it, but you may also additionally copy the servers exported data before mounting to the mount-locations to also have the data vailable when you're on the road with your laptop and haven't mounted the global archives.

A setup-option to also define the location of the albumcovers directory would make things much easier for some users. That would be a great help for local network setups.

Yours Henri