This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Transfer playlist to media device: also transfer/generate .m3u file

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
wiggie
Registered Member
I made a 5 hour-long playlist for a party and wanted to transfer it to my personal media player (PMP). After fighting with amarok for half an hour, by figuring out how to do it so it doesn't copy each song (each being from individual artists) to a directory in the form /artist/album/track.ext, i realized that although a playlist is being transferred, the m3u file isn't. My PMP does support m3u playlists and I thoght it was odd that amarok didn't copy the file also.

Even if all the files weren't in one directory, through a playlist file I could play the desired tunes, since the player would find each individual file.

There is one problem with this (at least the one I see): Amarok only knows where the files in the playlist are located on the computer but cannot know where they will be placed on the PMP. Perhaps what could be done is, when a playlist is transferred to the PMP, amarok looks at the way the files are copied onto the PMP (through the setup for PMP transfers) and through this it generates the appropriate playlist file.
wiggie
Registered Member
Boy, either my post was way too long and nobody read it or it was way too confusing. Either way, I still haven't figured out how to do it. I read that I could just copy the files to the mp3 player and then create the playlist from the files in the player. That's quite cumbersome, especially if you want to copy each file into the artist's name folder.

There's this other program that copies the files in a playlist created by amarok and other media players, and it also copies the playlist file. I never really got it to work though. Here it is
http://syncropated.garage.maemo.org/
jp3d
Registered Member
I wanted to do the same thing... there seems to be two options to copy all the files from a playlist, but no way to get the playlist itself copied :(
grodesh
Registered Member
Really, this has to be done. There's no point in transfering a playlist to a portable player if there is no way to replay the playlist.
jp3d
Registered Member
anyone know a good work around to do this for the time being?
CptDondo
Registered Member
This is over a year old....  Has anyone figured out how to do this?

I need this functionality.....  I want to transfer a playlist from my hard drive to my mp3 player and have a valid m3u file to go with it.....