This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Single Click Should Highlight Item, Double Click Should Open

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
rockgod2099
Registered Member
When I left click on an item in the files bar, it automatically opens the folder.  I would prefer if it just highlighted the item, so I could drag and drop it into the playlist.  or once it was highlighted I could right click and select to add it to the playlist.  My file browser has the ability to highlight with single click, why doesn't Amarok?
sebr
We honour KDE's single/double click setting.
rockgod2099
Registered Member
ok, I'm using gnome on Ubuntu, how do I get it to work then?
rockgod2099
Registered Member
Ok I figured it out.  Since I'm using Gnome, amarok was looking for the kde controls on clicking.  Since I didn't have kde, amarok used the default kde controls for clicking- single click opens.  so I opened up a terminal, typed sudo apt-get install kcontrol.  opened up kcontrol, reset the mouse controls to have double click open files, and now it works the way I want it to .
cyberscribe
Registered Member
@ rockgod2099:

That doesn't work with Ubuntu 9.04 -- there is no kcontrol in the repositories any more, apparently.
seeker5528
Registered Member
With KDE4, sytemsettings takes the lace of kcontrol.

Later, Seeker
cyberscribe
Registered Member
@ seeker5528:

I installed "systemsettings" and then opened it, just to take a look.  Even though I didn't make any changes at all - I just opened it, looked it over, and then closed it again - it still somehow managed to totally trash ALL the fonts on my system!  Ouch!!  My whole Ubuntu user interface simply became unreadable after exiting the application.  It's always fun to try to uninstall something when you can't even read the various dialog boxes and prompts, isn't it?  Apparently "systemsettings is downright evil and it does not play well with Ubuntu-Jaunty/Gnome at all.  I most definitely would not recommend that particular utility to anybody else, that's for sure!  What a nightmare!

So...now I'm off to download copies of Banshee and Songbird -- they look like they might serve as much better replacements for Amarok 1 than Amarok 2 has turned out to be.

It's really too bad, too...Amarok 1 was a pretty nice program, but Amarok 2 is just an annoying pile of junk.  It's honestly just not worth any further effort to try to get it working properly, IMHO.

Thanks anyway for the advice though!
seeker5528
Registered Member
"I just opened it, looked it over, and then closed it again - it still somehow managed to totally trash ALL the fonts on my system!"

I'm a little skeptical about it being the fault of systemsettings, sounds to me like some language stuff wasn't set up correctly somewhere or possibly a hardware/driver thing.

If you use multiple languages things can get a little weird sometimes. If you chose the correct locale when you installed and never changed any language settings, systemsettings shouldn't change any of that stuff. Some hardware/driver combinations can have issues that cause the display of the fonts to be corrupted sometimes.

That's all stuff that is better asked in the Ubuntu forums. I use systemsettings from Gnome with no problems.

Later, Seeker