This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Customize UI

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
TheQuickBrownFox
Registered Member

Customize UI

Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:18 pm
From reading posts on the Amarok 2 UI it seems that the following suggestion is not currently possible:

I suggest that there should be a custom tab, which allows any number and combination of columns from the other tabs.

I know nothing of UI programming but it seems like this wouldn't be too difficult considering that the interface mainly consists of just vertical columns. I think this would deal with a good proportion of the complaints where the UI doesn't do things the way that Amarok users would like. For example, I only ever use 3 columns in Amarok (Collection, Playlists and the playlist itself) but they span 2 different tabs. Personally, I have absolutely no need for any of the other columns and they do not enrich my experience at all but I appreciate that they may for others. If I could put those three columns in one tab then I would only ever need one tab 99.99% of the time.

I hope the designers can see the sense in this idea and feel that it is worth spending the time to implement for later versions of Amarok 2. Oh, and thanks so much for creating Amarok. It's miles better than anything else that I've tried on Linux (even running it in Gnome) and made my transition from Windows and foobar2000 last year much more bearable.
Mercurio
Registered Member

Re: Customize UI

Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:29 pm
Maybe I will become boring  :biggrin: , but I think most of troubles that users are reporting here (Customize UI,  Amarok 2 UI, Amarok 2.0: choose window pane order, First impressions of A2) could be resolved using the idea I suggested in the Amarok 2 UI thread.
http://amarok.kde.org/forum/index.php/t ... l#msg24281

...just switching the metaphor of the plasma panel from "context" to "task".

Anyhow I find very difficult Amarok2 will maintain a pure "context" metaphor for the middle panel for long time. The temptation of writing task-oriented plasmoids will be very strong.