This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Amarok 2 Last.fm integration

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
ickpoo
Registered Member

Amarok 2 Last.fm integration

Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:48 am
Wow!

The Last.fm integration is really good.  This is really nice stuff, far better than the previous versions.

I really like how all the information is presented as a tree allowing me to dig through all the radio streams of people even remotely related to me, I'm not even sure how to do this on the last.fm website (Sure it is possible, but not this easy).

Thanks,
Chad
Ramblurr
Registered Member
OS

Re: Amarok 2 Last.fm integration

Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:55 am
This is being worked on :) Expect it for Amarok 2.1

Amarok Developer
runsnbunsn
Registered Member

Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:07 pm
the only thing i'm missing is the integration of personal tag radio which is imho the best last.fm feature!
markey
KDE Developer
OS

Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:06 am
runsnbunsn wrote:the only thing i'm missing is the integration of personal tag radio which is imho the best last.fm feature!

I've never even heard of this feature. Can you explain how it works?

--
Mark Kretschmann - Amarok Developer
runsnbunsn
Registered Member

Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:08 pm
@mark

if you are a subscriber you can tags track you are hearing on your local connection(or via radio)
lets say you tag some tracks with "rock"
this creates your "own" rock-tag-radio, when you klick on it it plays tracks YOU tagged as rock only, no tracks someone other tagged as rock
this is really a killer feature cause this way you can build your own stations which play what YOU define as rock!
greyor
Registered Member

Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:48 am
I think the Last.fm integration is great, but I wonder if the scrobbling delay could be lengthened a bit? I seem to remember in Amarok 1.x that it wouldn't submit tracks until half or so of the track had played, and that was a lot better. Amarok 2.x seems to be submitting the tracks instantaneously -- and I, as I assume others do, tend to skip tracks here and there, and I don't want them to show up on my Last.fm if I've not listened to the whole thing (or most of it at least).

Would there be room at least for manually adjusting the delay, if nothing else? I hope this doesn't sound nitpicky, but it's an important thing to me and a feature I liked from the 1.x days.

Thanks for a great music player all around otherwise :)
markey
KDE Developer
OS

Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:28 am
runsnbunsn wrote:@mark

if you are a subscriber you can tags track you are hearing on your local connection(or via radio)
lets say you tag some tracks with "rock"
this creates your "own" rock-tag-radio, when you klick on it it plays tracks YOU tagged as rock only, no tracks someone other tagged as rock
this is really a killer feature cause this way you can build your own stations which play what YOU define as rock!

This is currently being implemented in SVN, so it will probably be in 2.1.

--
Mark Kretschmann - Amarok Developer
eean
KDE Developer
OS

Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:00 pm
greyor wrote:I think the Last.fm integration is great, but I wonder if the scrobbling delay could be lengthened a bit? I seem to remember in Amarok 1.x that it wouldn't submit tracks until half or so of the track had played, and that was a lot better. Amarok 2.x seems to be submitting the tracks instantaneously -- and I, as I assume others do, tend to skip tracks here and there, and I don't want them to show up on my Last.fm if I've not listened to the whole thing (or most of it at least).

Would there be room at least for manually adjusting the delay, if nothing else? I hope this doesn't sound nitpicky, but it's an important thing to me and a feature I liked from the 1.x days.

Thanks for a great music player all around otherwise :)

This is a change in the audioscrobbler protocol. It submits as soon you start playing so that the last.fm "now playing" feature works. It only saves the track if it receives a "finished playing" message when its done.

Amarok Developer
piemonkey
Registered Member

Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:59 pm
Ian Monroe wrote:
It only saves the track if it receives a "finished playing" message when its done.

This is true, but I don't think it is as sensible as it could be with when it sends the "finished playing" signal. For instance, if a song starts playing, and plays for a few seconds, but then I tell it to play something else, it sends a "finished playing" signal for the first song (well, it appears in my list of recently played songs, so I assume it does). I think it should only send the signal if I've listened to a certain fraction of the track.
gnejusz
Registered Member

Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:47 pm
Is it posiible to reverse scroobling? I mean to synchronize amarok database with this present in last.fm. When I use amarok in different location I have different stats. My second idea is to fech tags from Last.fm. I could use for example tag jazz and german to create dynamic playlist. Is it possible?
Ramblurr
Registered Member
OS

Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:26 am
These features aren't available yet, but hopefully they'll make their way  into Amarok soon. Maybe Amarok 2.1, but more probably later.

Amarok Developer
Dieter Schroeder
Registered Member
OS

Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:22 pm
As far as I can see amarok doesn't cache songs when it isn't able to connect to last.fm. Or am I wrong? I listened to a lot of songs, while I was in
hospital, but none of them was sent, when I was back online. I remember that amarok 1 cached up to 500 songs in submit.xml. Another point is last.fm to
amarok2: This can be done by using the lastsync script. I think it can be found on kde-apps.org, or google is your friend;-).
I'm using it to sync with my old collection.db, which I then sync with A2.
Perhaps it could be integtrated into A2, but til now it only works with sqlite3 (ruby-sqlite). I'm no
ruby guru, but it shouldn't be that hard to change the database (ruby-mysql).

If men could get pregnant, abortion would be a sacrament.
FrankUndFrei
Registered Member

Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:03 pm
I wonder why there is no possibility to add a custom globaltag radio station to the playlist like it is possible with the artist stations (type the name of the artist and hit "start" in the last.fm tab). I can only choose from a set of predefined radiostations like the "alternative" station.
If I want to listen to the "minimal" station I have to click Playlist -> Add radio stream and then type lastfm://globaltags/minimal which is not intuitive very intuitiv... I guess it would be really easy to add this feature. Any chance this feature appears in 2.1?
gnejusz
Registered Member

Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:23 pm
Dieter Schroeder wrote:As far as I can see amarok doesn't cache songs when it isn't able to connect to last.fm. Or am I wrong? I listened to a lot of songs, while I was in
hospital, but none of them was sent, when I was back online. I remember that amarok 1 cached up to 500 songs in submit.xml. Another point is last.fm to
amarok2: This can be done by using the lastsync script. I think it can be found on kde-apps.org, or google is your friend;-).
I'm using it to sync with my old collection.db, which I then sync with A2.
Perhaps it could be integtrated into A2, but til now it only works with sqlite3 (ruby-sqlite). I'm no
ruby guru, but it shouldn't be that hard to change the database (ruby-mysql).

So far, I can't do it on my own So I am waiting for Amarok feature.