This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

flame

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
ronnor
Registered Member

flame

Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:31 pm
yes, the topic isn't wrong. recently i installed amarok2.0.1 on my xubuntu (jaunty) and i'm shocked. the usabiltity is horrible ... this is the first time i tried amarok 2. i used amarok 1 a long time - but this is - whisper - a catastrophe. where are the options gone? is this due to _more usability_ ?
i can't believe that. i was really happy to see how fast development of amarok2 goes on ... and the changelog looks (from the technical side) very impressive, but i really miss usabiltity for advanced users. maybe the actuall gui is ideal for DAUs, but what about the advanced users?
again. the options are far from being as amarok1 has given possibilities. i cant even set one of my soundcards for the chosen one for playback.
inbackground i installed exaile ...maybe my switch from amarok1 to exaile and not amarok2 ... and i looks like that the running amarok2 detects my switchoption ...because i got now a "Amarok - The KDE Crash Handler" .. A Fatal Error Occured. The application amarok crashed and caused the signal 6 (SIGABRT).

I'm impressed.
Boni
Registered Member

Re: flame

Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:13 am
Help the project by developing yourself, make it perfect and everyone's going to love you. That's the theory. As you surely can't or won't do that, go back to 1.4 and come back later. Would be the best for all I think.
gnejusz
Registered Member

Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:51 am
I think that amarok 2 need time to grow up. Now it's only a media player. In the future it become amarok again.
markey
KDE Developer
OS

Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:46 am
gnejusz wrote:I think that amarok 2 need time to grow up. Now it's only a media player. In the future it become amarok again.

We actually plan to go backwards in time, from Amarok to a media player. Possibly to a rock.

Our secret sauce is the "flux compensator".

--
Mark Kretschmann - Amarok Developer
VastOne
Registered Member

Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:56 am
Mark Kretschmann wrote:
gnejusz wrote:I think that amarok 2 need time to grow up. Now it's only a media player. In the future it become amarok again.

We actually plan to go backwards in time, from Amarok to a media player. Possibly to a rock.

Our secret sauce is the "flux compensator".

Brilliant.....  But how do you keep the orange peels from mixing with the banana peels in your Flux Compensator?  I have yet to work out that kink...

On a more serious note, at first I was very disappointed with 2.0, but with the 2.01 update, and a second look, I am now 2.0 only and look forward to it's growth over the next 18 months....Just to say Remember When...

VastOne
gnejusz
Registered Member

Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:54 pm
It this mean you don't bring back many usefull things wich was present in amarok 1.4?
coacharnold
Registered Member

Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:58 pm
I agree .... Amarok 2 is a major headache so far .... I'm waiting for it to grow up as well... maybe Amarok 2.1 will be ready for prime time.... but ...  1.4 is still the best at what it does .... 

Feel the love

t
markey
KDE Developer
OS

Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:38 am
gnejusz wrote:It this mean you don't bring back many usefull things wich was present in amarok 1.4?

I've blogged about this topic. Please see here:

http://amarok.kde.org/blog/archives/809 ... rok-2.html

--
Mark Kretschmann - Amarok Developer
gnejusz
Registered Member

Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:11 pm
So it's a matter of time and they will be back??? This list doesn't mean those fetures are droped.

I hope;)
darkscot
Registered Member
OS

Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:18 pm
VastOne wrote:[On a more serious note, at first I was very disappointed with 2.0, but with the 2.01 update, and a second look, I am now 2.0 only...

Make sure you backup your music collection then!  Since going back to 1.4 I have discovered that dozens of MP3 files have had their tags totally messed up.  Some have had the tracks removed completely and some have totally the wrong tags. 

"We don't have a monopoly. We have market share. There's a difference." STEVE BALLMER