This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Filter/Sort/Search customizability

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Julipan
Registered Member
OS

Filter/Sort/Search customizability

Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:00 am
Hi all,

I just decided to give KDE 4.2 a chance and have especially enjoyed the new Amarok. I have to say that I really appreciate your hard work on making what is possibly the best music player in the universe.

There is, however, one thing that bothers me, and that is the lack of customizability for the collection filter (previously known as "group by"). I think it should be possible to filter, sort and search by any tag and not just the most popular ones. This is particularly relevant for Ogg and FLAC which supports any tag imaginable.

Personally, I like to sort my music by country and have tagged all my files appropriately. I realize that I'm mostly alone in just this regard, but believe that many people generally have a lot of specific ways of sorting their music which may not be catered to by a small selection of tags. I found several when searching this forum for instance.

Unfortunately, the only player I am aware of that offers such functionality at the moment is Quod Libet, and I'd love to see something similar implemented in Amarok.

all the best,
/Stian
arlyn9391
Registered Member
Julipan wrote:Hi all,

I just decided to give KDE 4.2 a chance and have especially enjoyed the new Amarok. I have to say that I really appreciate your hard work on making what is possibly the best music player in the universe.

There is, however, one thing that bothers me, and that is the lack of customizability for the collection filter (previously known as "group by"). I think it should be possible to filter, sort and search by any tag and not just the most popular ones. This is particularly relevant for Ogg and FLAC which supports any tag imaginable.

Personally, I like to sort my music by country and have tagged all my files appropriately. I realize that I'm mostly alone in just this regard, but believe that many people generally have a lot of specific ways of sorting their music which may not be catered to by a small selection of tags. I found several when searching this forum for instance.

Unfortunately, the only player I am aware of that offers such functionality at the moment is Quod Libet, and I'd love to see something similar implemented in Amarok.

all the best,
/Stian

Why is that you are thinking that it should be possible to filter, sort and search by tag and not just the most popular ones?

OS
arlyn9391 wrote:Why is that you are thinking that it should be possible to filter, sort and search by tag and not just the most popular ones?

For my part, I'd like to be able to see, in my music player, which artist/band comes from which country. With almost 30.000 songs in my collection, that is the way I have become used to sort my music. Having them grouped, or filtered, by country makes it for example much easier to find what I'm looking for when I can't remember a name. I usually tend to wish to play a series of albums from a specific country, and find it cumbersome having to use another program, like QuodLibet or ExFalso, just for determining which those albums are. I also want Amarok to be able to distinguish between bands with the same name, which usually come from different countries.

This is of course just me, but I believe there are other needs that are not catered to by the standard tags. For instance, someone listening to a lot of classical music might want to filter and distinguish between different recordings of the same work, often going by conductor or orchestra. Someone listening to a lot of bootlegs might wish to filter based on the recording information; equipment, venue, etc.

The truth is, mp3 is a lousy format, not just with regards to sound quality, but also due to its extremely limited way of using metadata. That it has been able to define the metastructure of digital music to such extent is, in my opinion, a major problem. It is therefore my hope that more Free Software applications, like Amarok, will go the Ogg route instead and offer a free-defined, instead of pre-defined, way of using metadata.

all the best,
/Stian

Last edited by Julipan on Fri May 22, 2009 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
raf
Registered Member
arlyn9391 wrote:
Julipan wrote:                            I think it should be possible to filter, sort and search by any tag and not just the most popular ones.

Why is that you are thinking that it should be possible to filter, sort and search by tag and not just the most popular ones?

That sure as hell looks like spam/advertising (note the link).
Would be interesting to know whether this is a bot.
Julipan
Registered Member
OS
raf wrote:That sure as hell looks like spam/advertising (note the link).
Would be interesting to know whether this is a bot.

You're probably right. I thought the question was a bit odd, but decided to reply nevertheless. Checking the link just now, it leads to an online store selling furnace filters, which might explain why my post was targeted, with all the talk about filtering.