This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

/usr/* folders mistakenly included in the Collection

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
constantine
Registered Member
Hello to all!...

I am encountering a peculiar problem and I would like your help. Although I have only checked my home folder in Settings > Configure Amarok... > Collection > Collection Folders, Amarok also searches /usr/ folders.
In fact Amarok finds some sound files in /usr/share/sounds/ubuntu/stereo/ as I am using Ubuntu 8.10.

I have about 4.500 mp3 tracks, and a lot of times Amarok is unresponsive, when trying to search in my whole collection. Do you think my database size of 8 MB for so few tracks is too much?

I have dropped the mysql tables and repopulated the database, but the same happens. Any insights?

Thank you very much in advance!...

~$ uname -a
Linux pinelo 2.6.27-11-generic #1 SMP Thu Jan 29 19:28:32 UTC 2009 x86_64 GNU/Linux\
~$ amarokapp --version
Qt: 3.3.8b
KDE: 3.5.10
Amarok: 1.4.10
markey
KDE Developer
OS
Check the Amarok configuration file for a key like "Collection Folders". Maybe /usr got in there somehow, and you might be able to remove it.

You can find the file here:

$HOME/.kde/share/config/amarokrc

--
Mark Kretschmann - Amarok Developer
constantine
Registered Member
Thank you for your spontaneous and bright reply, but unfortunately it did not help :(

I can just remove the tracks  that are found in /usr/* folders. I am more worried about the resources Amarok uses in order to track any changes in /usr/* folders... I'll post the problem in amarok-bugs-dist-request

Thanks once again!...
markey
KDE Developer
OS
Then maybe check that you don't have any symlinks that could point to /usr (maybe indirectly) in your collection.

I don't currently recall if Amarok 1.x follows symlinks, or not.

--
Mark Kretschmann - Amarok Developer
dangle_wtf
I was thinking symlinks too, having recently reported the same type of bug that turned out to be a stray symlink instead.
I'm pretty sure Amarok 1.4 follows them, as parts of my collection were linked to appear in the same dir.

"There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works."
If men could get pregnant, we'd learn the true meaning of "screaming nancyboy wuss"