This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Configuration Hints for gapless Playback

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
gabelobe
Registered Member
Hi,

when Amarok was first released, it blew me away. And it is still my favorite Music-Player. So I got a little frustrated failing to get Amarok 2 playing my FLACs gapless. Updating my OpenSuSE 11.1 with the latest xine-lib (1.1.16.2-0.pm.2), configuring KDE (Phonon) to use Xine as Backend made it work again. (It did work for me already sometime back in the 1.4 Epoche).

It took me hours and hours of searching through Postings and Forums ending up with no more than the information that Amarok relies entirely on 3rd party backends and xine sometime broke gapless FLAC. I even started to flirt with Songbird (yes, I am ashamed but I was weak and she gave me gapless when I needed it most). I figure that some central and easy Point to find hints on gapless Playback would be apreciated by many Amarok Users.

Infos like:
* Which Backend/Backend-Version is capable of playing back FLAC/ogg/mp3/... (yes I know mp3 is a hard one...) gapless
* How to get Amarok using Backend XY (I heard that a future release is to reincorporate Backend Config into Amarok but for now it took me some time to find that I need to configure KDE, not Amarok...)

Last edited by gabelobe on Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
markey
KDE Developer
OS
Please, it's been spelt "Amarok" since about 4 years or so.

--
Mark Kretschmann - Amarok Developer
gabelobe
Registered Member
well, since Amarok cast a spell on me I should spell it right even if I am more interested in it's Sound than in it's orthography ... Anyway, thanks for the hint.

Still, central intelligence on Backends would be apreciated.

Last edited by gabelobe on Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.