This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

transcoding in Amarok 2...

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Manwe_Sulimo
Registered Member

transcoding in Amarok 2...

Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:17 am
Greetings, fellow Amarok users!

I have a request and my cursory searching/browsing has not turned up anything useful, so I am creating a new topic.
I was initially quite disappointed with Amarok2, because it didn't acknowledge my Archos 504 device, so I stuck with Amarok-1.4.x, since I tend to like KDE-3.5x better (*hides* :p ).
    But since 1.4 is being phased out, I thought I would try 2 again, since there have been some updates, and they're well on their way towards 2.1.
    My request is as follows:  A script like the transkode script from 1.4.  I like to keep my music in FLAC format (in the process of re-ripping CDs that I have, and making lists of what I don't :p ), and the TransKode script in 1.4 worked wonderfully for converting my FLAC & AAC audio into MP3 automatically, so it could be played on my Archos 504 ( * Manwe_Sulimo prods Archos to support FLAC ;) )
  I would appreciate any assistance in this area, or in finding the 1.4 script so I could look into modifying it myself (I don't know where Amarok keeps the scripts, once installed :p )  Thank you in advance!
markey
KDE Developer
OS

Re: transcoding in Amarok 2...

Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:29 am
Ultimately, we plan to integrate transcoding directly in Amarok 2, without a script (but still using external tools for the actual work). It never made a lot of sense to do this as a script - We made it so more because of lack of time than for technical reasons.

However, we've not yet found the time to implement this feature. Patches are welcome.

--
Mark Kretschmann - Amarok Developer