This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Samba share

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
dajashby
Registered Member

Samba share

Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:44 am
My music collection is on a Windows machine on my home network.  In the past I have maintained permanent mounts in my fstab to give amarok access to this music, but this shouldn't be necessary.  In Dolphin I can mount a share into the Places list without the horrible overhead of running Samba configuration on my kubuntu box - I'm using Jaunty by the way - but I can't either add a Place to the amarok collection configuration, or use drag and drop to add the files.  The latter solution works with rhythmbox, which also can't access Places.  This is routine functionality that's been available in Windows for over a decade!
Dieter Schroeder
Registered Member
OS

Re: Samba share

Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:55 am
Do you know why it is in windoze for over a decade? Because it is "M$ tries networking" ****. That is also the reason, why it is so slow and has so much overhead.

Using "Places" doesn't do a real mount (it's like the kio_smb in KDE3). So you should mount your drives the "old" way.

Greetings
m0nk

If men could get pregnant, abortion would be a sacrament.
dajashby
Registered Member

Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:27 pm
I'm not here to defend Microsoft, but abuse doesn't alter the fact that mapping a network drive to a drive letter actually works - every program written for Windows understands where the files are and can access them.  You might say that Linux does networking better, but that isn't much use if it's too hard for your average computer user to access the files they want to access using the piece of software they want to use.  I have now mounted my network shares, but then I've been using Linux for ten years or more.  I've been waiting all that time for the OS to do networking in a user friendly way.  I'm still waiting.
Dieter Schroeder
Registered Member
OS

Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:54 pm
You're right, but you should also see, that making things "easier" for the user also simplifies things for those, who aren't welcome on your computer. And how about mounting NFS shares in windoze? ;-)
Anyway, unfortunately there is no easy way to get SMB/CIFS shares mounted.
Next time I'll sleep before I answer on topics in this forum.
Hopefully I haven't offended you.

Greetings
m0nk

If men could get pregnant, abortion would be a sacrament.