This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Viewing Multiple Collections

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
peterw
Registered Member

Viewing Multiple Collections

Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:11 pm
So, this may already be possible, but I have no idea how to do it.  I am wondering if there could be a way to have more than just the Local Collection shown.  What I mean by this is that when I tell amarok where my music lives, I check multiple folders, but in the interface the music from all those folders gets lumped together into the "Local Collection".  I am wondering if there is some way these multiple folders could be displayed as their own collection, i.e. "Folder1 Collection", "Folder2 Collection".  If this is too much I am wondering if there is some other way to group the music together by folder or some other kind of criteria that will show up on the main interface.
Dieter Schroeder
Registered Member
OS

Re: Viewing Multiple Collections

Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:39 pm
Can't see any reason for that "feature". What sense is hidden behind this idea?

m0nk

If men could get pregnant, abortion would be a sacrament.
peterw
Registered Member

Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:44 pm
The real reason is when I get music from my friends, I keep it in a folder with their name on it.  When it gets lumped together that ownership gets lost.  One less intrusive way to implement however, could be adding another option instead of artist, album, genre, or composer, when I configure how the music is listed.  Is there any reason why I can't pick anything more like year, bitrate or some other tag?
groo
Registered Member

Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:10 pm
I second this feature, it would be very useful to me.

An example, i have a external disk, which i formated with lvm and reiserfs. to amarok it shows like any other mount point, but sometimes its offline, and amarok still have issues when it only updated the colection (not full rescan), if i had more then one colection i could simply update the disk colection and leave my notebook hd colection alone.

Another example, im currently using mysql server with my 2.2 svn, since im having problems with the built mysqle (crash on start). if i had several colections, i could have more then one mysql server in several diferente machines and i could mix, match music from several backends :) this is even more interesting now that 2.2 supoorts external DBs again.

hope this feature gets implemented.

best regards
Dieter Schroeder
Registered Member
OS

Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:14 pm
So you're sharing music.. tztztztz. Just kidding. Local collection is just the MySQL db, so generally it shouldn't be hard to implement multiple dbs/local collections. In 2.2 you can find MySQL standalone code and rumours say, it will be possible in future releases. Until then try entering your friends' name as composer in the tags. I've tried it with a search over the comment frame, but that doesn't work.
Sorry.

Uups. groo was faster than me.
External disk is a problem, because amarok can't decide, if it is not available or the collection has changed.
And I agree with support for external databaseserver. Guess you've a collection on your server with mysql running.
Amarok would connect to the mysqld and integrate its collection. If the resource is not available, amarok would skip, perhaps indicating "Collection not available". Same with NAS, no mountpoint as in devices table... skip. And watching for changes dynamically only for folders available. 
Aaah, I better stop now, brave new (Amarok)world.

m0nk

Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

If men could get pregnant, abortion would be a sacrament.
Adriano M
Registered Member
OS

Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:47 am
Is there any chance of multiple collections?

In my case I like to separate file format/quality in different folders, and in some cases from "real" collections (I've got the entire OC Remix Collection, which accounts for more then 2K mp3s) and I don't really like to mix this all up.

Maybe it could still show all up in one collection, but give the user an option to manualy separate, like, "all the music from folder X go inside X tree", we could have something like this:

Flac
|-Some author
||-Some Album ...
||-Some Album ...
||-Some Album ...
|-Some author
||-Some Album ...
||-Some Album ...
Mp3 Low Quality
|-Some author
||-Some Album ...
||-Some Album ...