This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

My suggestions for fixing 2.0.

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
sunyata
Registered Member

My suggestions for fixing 2.0.

Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:53 pm
1) move "recently added" back into the "Collection" column so that a user can view all of their albums by the date of their addition, or allow more than 5 albums to be in the "Albums" column under "recently added albums"... either way.

this huge change effectively buries albums > 6 that are just added and the user will have to hunt for them in the massive "Collection" area.

2) focus more on intuitive graphical browsing of one's collection rather than dynamic playlists. how about album covers in a virtual record "bins" that one can create and modify. when the mouse moves over the albums in the crates they pop out enough to see the cover, kinda like being in a used record store... anyway, the point is i'd like to see more graphical intuitive features in the main "Collection" area and less nifty conditional statements buried in dynamic playlists.

2) allow the center column to be one vertical column instead fixed as 2 rows in 1 column. the bottom row just seems to be wasting real estate... also just don't think the "add folder" works well or is very enticing to use. that space is occupied by a feature few people will use and it obscures the recently added albums, of which there are only a max of 5??

3) iPod support back in, i know that has been mentioned here many times.

4) Dynamic playlists... I seem to only have the option of "Random" when creating a new Dynamic playlist? shouldn't there be "Random" and "Fixed"?? Maybe this is just a bug on my version?

the concept of "Proportion" of "Fuzzy".. first off, the terminology is really unintuitive, but more importantly; the features seem silly. why would someone want to create a way of screening a "Fuzzy" part of their collection? if i decide to sort my collection by any criteria i'm going to want to view the entire collection this way. those 2 tabs under the "Dynamic Playlists" option should be a series of useful presets.

5) what happened to the different EQ's? those were kinda nice.

6) buttons in the top left should not be so big and overlap, IMHO that's just bad design.

sorry for all the negativity, i don't normally write this kind of critique but i'm a UI designer and a linux user, it's a bummer to see the better music player (by nature of the database) get so bass ackward on an update. this really is a case study of what not to do with a product when you overhaul your user interface. all that code is wasted if people don't want to use your product.

sincerely,

sunyata
nhn
KDE Developer
OS

Re: My suggestions for fixing 2.0.

Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:01 am
While we are happy to hear your feedback, it would seem that you are basing your critique on Amarok 2.0.x. Please have a look at the current stable release 2.1.1 (or even better, the current development version, 2.2-git) and will hopefulyl find that many of these issues have already been taken care of or are being worked hard on for 2.2.
sunyata
Registered Member

Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:26 am
Thanks for the response, I'll give it a try!
sunyata
Registered Member

Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:05 am
Can i add yet another feature that seems to be missing. Version 2.1.1

I can't drag and drop music from somewhere other than my library and right click to "move" or "copy" to library. that feature is no longer in the drop down menu. it appears only to be available in the left col where my libraries are, kinda defeating the point of needing to add to my library, since all those tracks are already in the library.

seems an odd place to move that feature.

thanks,

-sunyata
Dieter Schroeder
Registered Member
OS

Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:36 am
Move/Copy to library is for multiple collections, f.e. copy to iPod collection.

m0nk

If men could get pregnant, abortion would be a sacrament.
nhn
KDE Developer
OS

Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:42 am
Dieter Schroeder wrote:Move/Copy to library is for multiple collections, f.e. copy to iPod collection.

Yeah or copying from a CD collection to the local collection (ripping)
You could hovever make a point that the menus should not be there at all if there are no collections to copy to! :-)

- Nikolaj
alinuxa
Registered Member
OS

Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:11 pm
I've been using Amarok for several years and it is the FIRST app I look for whenever I check out a new distro and the first I fire up when I've installed one. What I would like to see is the "Show extended info" bar back from the 1.4 edition. It was so good to use - I could check out what topics were covered in podcasts without having to go to each site. I could hardly believe that in 2.0 in Fedora 11 there was no "Show extended info" bar. Luckily for me there were many others of the same opinion and some had made rpms for Fedora 11 - and I now have 1.4 back.

Apart from having that bar back, I would like to be able to see the podcast menu open as a default option. It is a bit annoying having the search the correct menu from the left, then go to the bottom and open up the podcast. Can't there be an option to open it with the same configuration it was closed in?

I prefer(red) this to iTunes. Please return this to at least the same functionality as 1.4 :)
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:35 pm
Amarok 2.0 is more than a year old now... this title should either be changed or we should close this thread and open a new one, regarding Amarok 2.2.

In Amarok 2.2 beta 2, which we released today, you are in the exact same place on start up as where you left when you closed Amarok.

I never used podcast in 1.4 and don't know what you mean by "Extended info bar", sorry.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...