This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

We definitely need tabs to sort collections by columns, please !

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
thingol
Registered Member
OS
I'm using amarok for years and I have to thank you for you're excellent job. In my opinion, Amarok is one of the best music player ever.

I moved to Amarok 2.x recently as it begins to overtake the 1.x, but I face a major inconvenient that doesn't seem to change : I can no more sort my collection following column's tabs.

I googled a bit but saw nothing about any planned change on that matter. This is really bothering, as it was my favorite way of managing playlists, and the only way in several cases.

For example I listed all my metal titles, by one click I sorted following the mood column, and I discarded everything unrated or under a certain rate : and I get a "best of" playlist : Really fantastic ! The same operation with other types of columns (file size, bitrate, file type, location, etc) allowed very interesting and fast management of playlist, to clean it from lower sources etc . Although Amarok never hard such a good and customizable playlist layout as now, the very foremost feature seems to have vanished : the sorting tabs. I don't see anymore a way to make "best of" or "purified" playlists, but manually (what can take ages with hundreds or thousands of files).

Please, please, bring back those tabs, even as an optional feature hidden by default. I'm not a programmer, but I'm sure it's quiet elementary to code (well even excel do that lol), and it will really please thousands of people. To "rediscover our music" we first need to rediscover the tabs ! :p

Besides, I'm equally looking forward the return of the sound equalizer, useful to enhance lossy codecs as mp3. Of course, the ideal would be an equalizer customizable by genre, file type and bitrate, so it would smartly adapt to the source. But all that is really nothing compared to column's tabs.

To show that i'm not the only one very concerned by those tabs, i noticed that thread (in french) saying the same thing from different amarok users : http://forum.ubuntu-fr.org/viewtopic.php?id=286064&p=1

Well, may be it is already planned or it does exist in some nightly builds or in some option I never noticed, in that case, I aplogize for my post, otherway I really hope it will encourage you to bring back the tabs soon :p

Regards.

ps : excuse me for my poor english, being french lol.

Last edited by thingol on Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
imported-karoshi
Registered Member
In Amarok 2.2 you will be able to sort the the playlist, even by more than one criteria:

thingol
Registered Member
OS
That's really great ! It will easily replace the tabs ! Cool !
Rasputin
Registered Member
OS
Often when using amarok-2 I feel like I have to do a lot of clicks to do simple things. While the "breadcrumps sorting" certainly does what it is intended to - sorting - it is a rather long procedure of pointing and clicking. Especially if you want more than one sorting criteria.

With columns that was possible by simply clicking the column headers in the desired order - a few clicks on large areas. With the breadcrumps its twice as much clicks on smaller buttons.

I see that in the new playlist view there are no columns and thus no column headers, but maybe one could display all visible fields at the top of the playlist view just like in the layout designer. If you click one field, that is defined as the sort field, if you click it twice, the sorting order is changed - just like column headers.
rubengs
Registered Member
Please, you need to listen to your users, we need a playlist as easy to use as the one in Amarok 1.4, Amarok used to be the best music player, lot of friends switched to linux just for that reason, now I have to arrange fields to make the playlist barely usable, try to use it with VA albums, you can't tell which artist is playing.

In other side the queue functionality is crippled, the queue order is shown by numbers in a green background over the track number, that's ugly, inelegant and impractical, I loved how I was able to change the queue order using the mouse wheel.

Of course the plasma functionality is great but we need a normal playlist with lot of information, and as simple as a spreadsheet can be, sortable by clicking in column titles, is this to much to ask?
Lukas
Registered Member
rubengs wrote:Of course the plasma functionality is great but we need a normal playlist with lot of information, and as simple as a spreadsheet can be, sortable by clicking in column titles, is this to much to ask?

Well, you can change layout as you want by clicking "Playlist layout" button (the most right button below playlist.

You can sort by *any* field by clicking the most left icon above playlist search field