This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Suggestion for Random play

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Milkyrice
Registered Member
OS

Suggestion for Random play

Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:11 pm
Hello, I've just recently started using amarok on ubuntu and it works fairly well except this one thing that i'm not a fan of.

The suggestion i have is for the random tracks. When i hit the next track button, it randomizes just fine, but when i hit the previous track button, it also sends me to another random song.

This may not be a big issue but if i'm listening to my music on random and i hear a song but i don't know the name of it and sometimes before i can check the name it switches to the next track. When i press the previous track button, i'll get sent to a random song. This may also not be a big issue but when you have a library close to 10 000 songs, that song is pretty much lost forever. I want to be able to press the previous button to get back to the track i just heard.

So in general, my suggestion is to have a one way random play.
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Re: Suggestion for Random play

Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:02 pm
Milkyrice wrote:Hello, I've just recently started using amarok on ubuntu and it works fairly well except this one thing that i'm not a fan of.

The suggestion i have is for the random tracks. When i hit the next track button, it randomizes just fine, but when i hit the previous track button, it also sends me to another random song.

Yes, this is a known bug which should already be fixed in the development branch.
On a side note, please don't forget to state your exact Amarok version when posting, as there are quite a few around now :)

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
eordano
Registered Member
OS

Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:35 pm
I also want to suggest that there should be a "Randomness Status" - In amarok 1, there was a indication of whether the random play was activated. In amarok 2, I can't find it!!!

Mamarok
Manager
OS

Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:29 pm
eordano wrote:I also want to suggest that there should be a "Randomness Status" - In amarok 1, there was a indication of whether the random play was activated. In amarok 2, I can't find it!!!

This is already implemented in the development branch and will be available in the next Amarok 2.2.2 version, due in few weeks.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
eordano
Registered Member
OS

Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:48 pm
Mamarok wrote:
eordano wrote:I also want to suggest that there should be a "Randomness Status" - In amarok 1, there was a indication of whether the random play was activated. In amarok 2, I can't find it!!!

This is already implemented in the development branch and will be available in the next Amarok 2.2.2 version, due in few weeks.

Cool!!! Thanks Developers!!!

seeker5528
Registered Member

Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:25 am
The random play stuff that was there in previous 2.x version was useless to me with my personal listening habits.

Currently I am using the 2.2.2 pre-release that is packaged in Debian experimental.

With it there is an icon just above the playlist where you can choose from a variety of views, one of them being random. If you have a view selected, it always shows which view is being used, so if it is random you see it. Tracks are displayed in the order they will actually play so you can go forward, backward, skip, right click a track that is five tracks below the one currently being played and choose to stop playing after the track ends and know what it will do. If the random view is selected and you click random again, it will re-randomize the view. Every time the playlist loads the view is re-randomized.

I'm diggin' it.

Later, Seeker
markey
KDE Developer
OS

Thu Dec 24, 2009 5:46 am
seeker5528 wrote:The random play stuff that was there in previous 2.x version was useless to me with my personal listening habits.

Currently I am using the 2.2.2 pre-release that is packaged in Debian experimental.

With it there is an icon just above the playlist where you can choose from a variety of views, one of them being random. If you have a view selected, it always shows which view is being used, so if it is random you see it. Tracks are displayed in the order they will actually play so you can go forward, backward, skip, right click a track that is five tracks below the one currently being played and choose to stop playing after the track ends and know what it will do. If the random view is selected and you click random again, it will re-randomize the view. Every time the playlist loads the view is re-randomized.

I'm diggin' it.

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not, but the feature was once again improved, and it will be better somehow in 2.2.2-final.

(Why "somehow"? Because myself I have absolutely no use for it, so I can only tell from the commit logs.)

--
Mark Kretschmann - Amarok Developer
seeker5528
Registered Member

Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:59 pm
markey wrote:
seeker5528 wrote:I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not, but the feature was once again improved, and it will be better somehow in 2.2.2-final.

I was/am completely serious, sorry if it seemed otherwise.

Maybe the random layout was there before and I just missed the transition from having a menu option to turn random play on and off to having a random layout.

Typically I don't have a lot of desire to mess with the layout, so it never occurred to me to look there for a random option before.

If you go back to 1.4.x it had an option to shuffle the playlist, which is what I always used instead of random play. Seeing how the random layout works, it provides function that is equivalent to shuffle, so I am happy with it.

Later, Seeker
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Fri Dec 25, 2009 7:03 am
Well, it is clearly explained in the release notes of the 2.2.2 beta announcement that the playlist actions have been moved from the Menu to the playlist toolbar: http://amarok.kde.org/en/releases/2.2.2/beta/1

Reading that would have told you :)

seeker5528
Registered Member

Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:34 pm
Mamarok wrote:Reading that would have told you :)

Times have been pretty few and far between that anybody accused me of being observant. :<

Later, Seeker